Another newbie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Another newbie

Postby greybeard » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:05 pm

G'day and thanks for letting me join this group. I am fairly new to spirit brewing and
have been using Still Spirits product, Turbo yeast etc through a 25l fermenter and an Airstill.
As we are full time greynomads I find the Airstill OK (takes up little space in the van) but I am
looking more to trying tpw or kale washes instead of brewshop products.
Eventually when we settle down in a house somewhere then a proper still will be the go!
Cheers
greybeard

equipment: airstil and 25l fermenter

Re: Another newbie

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Welcome aboard :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

For the air still I would look more to the cornflakes, weetbix or nutrigrain washes as the air still effectively is a pot still. The TPW may be a bit hard to get clean enough though it. You will find you won't need to add the essences for whiskeys then :handgestures-thumbupleft:

BTW I'm jealous that you live on the road mate, enjoy your adventures.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Fatguts » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:32 pm

G'day. Im new to this site myself. Ive got the grey but still working on the nomad part. Are you running the air still from 12 volt and inverter or just using 240 volt mains power. I like the concept of making spirit whilst travelling around.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Welcome greybeard.

:text-+1: on what woodduck said about the cereal washes. They'll make a much nicer spirit through the air still than TPW or a kale wash.

With a name like greybeard though, you should really try your hand at rum. :ar! Arrr!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby greybeard » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Prof Green and Woodduck thanks for the info re cereal washes you have given me something else to think about
Fatgut I normally brewup when we have access to 240volt then store the unflavoured spirit in empty water cask bladders although after looking through this site I am not sure if I should be using glass bottles instead. Using cask water to make the wash then to store the spirit after seemed a good idea at the time mainly to get the caravan weight down.
Thanks for all the advice.
greybeard

equipment: airstil and 25l fermenter

Postby The Stig » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Glass or stainless :handgestures-thumbupleft: , never plastic :puke-huge:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby spiltdrink » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:29 pm

Hey Greybeard,
Welcome to the forum.They're a friendly bunch around here.
I wish I was lucky enough to be living the dream like you.
Could I suggest that you look into making a simple pot still.
(If your not handy you could always ask a retired plumber you'd inevitably run into)
They are very simple and can be attached to the lid of your Big pot that you use for pasta/rice/silverside.
I can understand the air still is easy to use,quiet,safe and discrete and those advantages are really apealing.

A pot still (besides the pot you are already carrying) takes up very little storage space,appears quite benign, weighs a lot less than an air still and will give you more flexibility with you stilling (most would say a better product as well)
A pot still can be run on electric or gas or even a well tendered fire (I'm sure you'd put us all to shame with your firesmithery)
The cooling water does not have to be potable and can be town water or pumped by 240v/12v or even gravity if your crafty enough. Hey you could catch it in a container and use it to have a warm bath when your done :)
You could be out in the sticks away from everyone and not tied to being in a caravan park or showground to " Russel up a drop"

I'm going to float off now, dreaming of being you, with a small barrel of wiskey in the back somewhere bumping up and down for thousands of miles aging away...........making some of the smoothest booze in the country.
spiltdrink

equipment: 1 X Reciprocating saw
1 X Roll of duct tape
1 X Pocket pussy

Postby RC Al » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Welcome greybeard

Have a search, but I'm sure one member in a similar situation to you used or was going to use a fire extinguisher for storing product on the road.

They are properly welded stainless and available from scrap yards pretty cheap as they (as a bonus for you) don't weigh much. I've seen some of them with obviously easily screwed off tops, which more than likely will be a standard bsp thread that you can get a ss plug or even a tap for

They look awesome with the paint stripped off and a quick buff

Split, you paint a lovely picture, nice post
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Return to Welcome Centre