GREEN DISTILLER

Say Hi and introduce yourself

GREEN DISTILLER

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi fellow Aussie Distiller members, :greetings-waveyellow: :greetings-waveyellow:

First of all, thanks for allowing me to be apart of your community. i enjoy drinking Jack Daniels (with coke but was hoping to make something smooth enough to sip on) misso enjoys the vodka now and then.

I was recently hit with the idea of distilling my owns spirits and without doing much research i quickly jumped online and googled a few pages.... with this came the idea of buying a Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. The sales pitch was very good with very little for me to worry about...... eep... basically as long as i followed there online you-tube instructions all is well..... so of i went.

the kit came with flavouring turbo products so but no turbo sugar so i used 7kg of dextrose (BTW im in Darwin) i followed the wash recipe and set aside fermenter (32c showing on fermenter tag. have since purchased an air thermometer). Airlock stopped bubbling 6 days later. I then added clearing agents as per instructions( i did stir and "degass"). 2 days later i had a chance to run the still. set it up drained wash into boiler (was curious about smell and gassiness.. probably normal) added ceramic beads and foaming agent. plumbed up and turned on..... 45-60 mins later alcohol started coming out 55. I kept temp at 60c (1-2c up/down) i discarded the first 150ml (even though was told to discard 50ml) and kept remaining 3.5l. was still dripping out slowly but wasnt sure when to stop. (apparently it stops when it stops)

Now since then i have learned and i hope you will correct me..... i should have let it air out and made cuts?? I did not do this and watered down to 40% and filtered twice. i used the flavouring provided.
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Re: GREEN DISTILLER

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Also to add.... Being a newb to this there is an overwhelming amount of information to take in.. I know with time and patients it will make sense. maybe i should have paid more attention in science class. :angry-banghead: The abbreviations and lingo is something I've had to google. :think:
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Doing cuts mean you collect small amounts. You then smell and taste each jar and sort good from bad. Even with an air still cuts will vastly improve your spirit.. hve a read of novice guide to cuts in the beginers section. Read and re read until it makes sense. and welcome by the way :greetings-waveyellow:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:50 pm

bluc wrote:Doing cuts mean you collect small amounts. You then smell and taste each jar and sort good from bad. Even with an air still cuts will vastly improve your spirit.. hve a read of novice guide to cuts in the beginers section. Read and re read until it makes sense. and welcome by the way :greetings-waveyellow:

Thanks BLUC. Will the product i ran be ok to consume....any side affects? any advice and info is appreciated :smile: loving this forum ^:)^
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Maybe I would put it back through this time doing cuts..I have never made and drank anything without doing cuts..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:07 pm

bluc wrote:Maybe I would put it back through this time doing cuts..I have never made and drank anything without doing cuts..

Ahh ok... i have sampled the product ( prob had about a litre) Definatley don't want to be unsafe and although its disappointing i don't mind the time to get it right....
my next question is how do i put it back through?.... its been syrup flavoured and some has glysorine added to it.
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:14 pm

If you ditched 150ml guessing per batch. What are they about 8l? In that case it's most likely safe to drink just not the best... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 pm

bluc wrote:If you ditched 150ml guessing per batch. What are they about 8l? In that case it's most likely safe to drink just not the best... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have only ever made one dextrose wash (25l wash. 7kg dextrose using turbo yeast). Ditched first 150ml and kept 3.3l at 94% ABV added around 4.5l water to get 40%(7.8l @40%)
Last edited by ZEROINSTINCT on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:47 pm

HI MATE!!!!
Thats the way i used to run the t500 till i found this site and got on the right track.
if you have ditched that 150ml then as Bluc said, its safe to drink but will just taste like shit compared with a well cut tpw or similar.
in the newbies corner ther is the Glossary of Terms and my tips on Running a T500 properly
but on a TPW or WBAB and do cuts then compare your results against the uncut turbo, i think youll be plesently surprised. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Welcome mate.

I too have a T-500 after a similar research as you described and have been amazed at the product I have produced. Only started 6 months ago, but I now have 10L of MacRum aging and tasting very smooth after 4 months; 3 goto Gin recipes, Khalua, Baileys and working through the 4th generation of a Simple Sour Mash.... oh, and lots of new friends!!!!!

Read 'til the eyes bleed, then do it again....... There is so much info out there, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: FSD 200L Milk Can
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD Neutraliser
Copper T-500

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Doubleuj wrote:HI MATE!!!!
Thats the way i used to run the t500 till i found this site and got on the right track.
if you have ditched that 150ml then as Bluc said, its safe to drink but will just taste like shit compared with a well cut tpw or similar.
in the newbies corner ther is the Glossary of Terms and my tips on Running a T500 properly
but on a TPW or WBAB and do cuts then compare your results against the uncut turbo, i think youll be plesently surprised. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The tpw will be my next run. Thought I would play it safe and do the recipe the kit comes with. Who woulda thought that was the wrong thing to do ( prob not wrong but not best)
With your wisdome would you suggest eventually running a wbabw then age with chips for a nice whiskey? And use the tpw for vodka, adding essence etc?
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:53 pm

The Dark Alchemist wrote:Welcome mate.

I too have a T-500 after a similar research as you described and have been amazed at the product I have produced. Only started 6 months ago, but I now have 10L of MacRum aging and tasting very smooth after 4 months; 3 goto Gin recipes, Khalua, Baileys and working through the 4th generation of a Simple Sour Mash.... oh, and lots of new friends!!!!!

Read 'til the eyes bleed, then do it again....... There is so much info out there, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Thanks for the welcome.
Just curious, with the different types of washes, as long as it has properly fermented, I’ve cleared sifened / filtered it can I use it in my t500 boiler. With column? But Probably best to do it through a pot still to keep bran etc. flavours???
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby dans.brew » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:11 pm

ZEROINSTINCT wrote:

The tpw will be my next run. Thought I would play it safe and do the recipe the kit comes with. Who woulda thought that was the wrong thing to do ( prob not wrong but not best)
With your wisdome would you suggest eventually running a wbabw then age with chips for a nice whiskey? And use the tpw for vodka, adding essence etc?

Welcome to the forum ZEROINSTINCT. :greetings-waveyellow:
One thing you will quickly find is that store bought stills and homebrew shops seem to encourage the use of turbo yeast.
I only just walked into a homebrew shop the other day chasing some whiskey yeast and the first words were 'we've got pleanty of turbo yeast in stock'.
A fair few of the tried and proven recipes only use bakers yeast which is easily found in the supermarket.
I found macs bwko recipe a very nice recipe when i first started out with my pot still, but wbab wash is also a ripper so I've heard. It will be closer to a genuine whiskey than an essence in vodka... having said that, i too started with essences and they are still very drinkable.
What ever you choose, have fun with it!
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:08 am

dans.brew wrote:
ZEROINSTINCT wrote:

Welcome to the forum ZEROINSTINCT. :greetings-waveyellow:
One thing you will quickly find is that store bought stills and homebrew shops seem to encourage the use of turbo yeast.
I only just walked into a homebrew shop the other day chasing some whiskey yeast and the first words were 'we've got pleanty of turbo yeast in stock'.
A fair few of the tried and proven recipes only use bakers yeast which is easily found in the supermarket.
I found macs bwko recipe a very nice recipe when i first started out with my pot still, but wbab wash is also a ripper so I've heard. It will be closer to a genuine whiskey than an essence in vodka... having said that, i too started with essences and they are still very drinkable.
What ever you choose, have fun with it!

Thanks Dan,
I agree the essence is drinkable and would cover a lot of wash flavours? After doing a few more runs, doing some enjoyable reading on this site forum, sounds like I will be getting a pot still in the near future.
I have a couple of ankle biters and work full time... a dedicated day here and there I think would need to be put aside. Thanks all for the welcomes :greetings-waveyellow:
ZEROINSTINCT

Return to Welcome Centre