South East Queensland brew

Say Hi and introduce yourself

South East Queensland brew

Postby Jastiller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi all, My name is Jason and I live on the Gold Coast. I bought my first still a couple of weeks ago with the soul purpose of cutting costs long term but the more I look into it the more I think that this will be a great long term hobby for me. There is so much more to it than I first thought. So for I've done a couple of sugar washes with another on the go now as well as a TPW which I'm eagerly awaiting the results of. I threw the first 150ml and stopped short at the end of run so I figured I should have half a chance at a decent batch.I ran the first batch through carbon filter 4 times and second batch through new filter 8 times. My first runs weren't the most pleasant tasting as I experience a slight metho after taste and smell. Is this worse in hotter climates? Or is it just a turbo yeast trait? My ferment temps were getting up to 37-38 for the fist couple of days. I was using SS classic 8 yeast. I have been reading a bit on this forum over the last few nights (and much wiser because of it). I will be doing 300ml cuts to see for myself the differences through the run on the next batches but I'm hoping to fix the taste of the first runs. Is there an easy way to remove 'metho' smell/taste or should I just run it through again with my next sugar wash?
Last edited by Jastiller on Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jastiller

equipment: Turbo 500 Copper

Re: South East Queensland brew

Postby Professor Green » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:52 pm

Welcome Jastiller .

I reckon if you chuck your first runs though again watered down to < 40% and follow Kiwistillers advice here, you'll end up with a much better product and you won't necessarily need to filter it. Have you read the "Running the T500 the Proper Way" thread yet? The associated discussion thread is worth a read too. I would recommend taking 200ml or even 150ml cuts on the T500 rather than 300ml. 300 is quit large for the yield from a 23 litre boiler. Smaller cuts will allow you to detect the transition from head into hearts and hearts into tails more accurately and you may possibly end being able to keep more as hearts.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Gday Jason, looks like you’ve caught the distilling bug already :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 pm

G'day mate and welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

The professor is on the money with his advice.
Re run what you have and do cuts to get the best out of it. Unfortunately that's the problem with turbos, they taste like crap. They're good if a quick cheap drink is what your after but if your after taste the tpw will be far superior. Once you compare the two you will know what we all mean.

Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Jastiller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks for the info professor green. I will follow kiwistillers formula on my next runs. Also, can I rerun already flavoured vodka ie bourbon and liqueurs?
Jastiller

Postby Jastiller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:22 pm

woodduck wrote:G'day mate and welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

The professor is on the money with his advice.
Re run what you have and do cuts to get the best out of it. Unfortunately that's the problem with turbos, they taste like crap. They're good if a quick cheap drink is what your after but if your after taste the tpw will be far superior. Once you compare the two you will know what we all mean.

Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Woodduck
Jastiller

Postby Professor Green » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:17 pm

Jastiller wrote:Thanks for the info professor green. I will follow kiwistillers formula on my next runs. Also, can I rerun already flavoured vodka ie bourbon and liqueurs?

You can rerun most spirits but I don't think there would be much to gain from re-running a liqueur - the sugar and other additives would probably scorch on your element.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre