Introducing myself :)

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Introducing myself :)

Postby Critta » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:07 pm

Hey everyone just saying hello and introducing myself, been a long term stalker of these forums and really appreciate all the effort, posts, trial and error writeups and the wealth of information that is offered. I am an unfortunate owner of a old SS T500 still that i have been using for about a year or 2 on and off, its ok for what it is, was an entry point for me and got me learning this wonderful craft and hobby. As i am now in the process of gathering materials for a 2" CCVM still i will probably ask several questions over the coming weeks if thats all good with you guys. The neutrals were ok that were coming off the T500 adn it was a simple enoough still to get me more confortable and learn the fundamentals of distilling but i am really looking at making grain still and retaining the flavours in the wash so its time to upgrade, and also the T500 seems to have developed a leak from near the outlet where the thermometer sits, i have used some PTFE tape to close it in but this i am sure isnt ideal and it is a vapour/alcohol leak not water so not the best but with the new build on the horizon i will play with it till i can sit the T500 back in a shed. I am trying to work out the best places in vic to source copper, i have looked at the scrap yard in bayswater and am not sure what type of copper it is so it worries me to get something that may not be pure or may contain lead. If anyone has tips on how to tell the difference that would be awesome. Great to meet you all and i will keep lurking and posting from here on in :D
Critta

equipment: T500 with a ccvm build on its way soon.

Re: Introducing myself :)

Postby RC Al » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:56 pm

Welcome mate

You would be very hard pressed to find copper with lead in it, just look for stuff that is clean inside and out and has crane or kembla &/or made in Australia printed up the side of it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There are lead test kits available at paint supply places, but totally unnecessary if you follow the above

plumbingsupplies.com.au are somewhere near you and the cheapest fittings you will buy

I strongly urge you to go 2 1/2" or 3". 2/12 is 50% bigger and fittings are not significantly dearer so 1/3 less time expenditure (kinda, not completely but you get the idea)

Look at swinging things so you can use sections of it a s a pot still for the AG you have planned
Last edited by RC Al on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Professor Green » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Welcome to AD Critta.

Don't forget to start a build thread and post pics of your build as you go. We love pics here.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Critta » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, i will definitely start a build post once i get it all going. ATM i have got myself a 50L SS keg, ordered 2x 2000w boiler heaters from ebay so they will hopefully arrive in the next few weeks and i can start working on getting the boiler started. As for the 3 inch still, i know there is alot of debate over the 2 inch and 3 inch build, is the only downside to running 3 inch the cost factor of the initial build? I would love to go 3 inch and save myself some time running the spirit runs as i heard that it cuts the time inhalf as this hobby is fantastic but as im finding out it can be pretty time consuming. The SS keg i got has a 2 inch ferrule on it atm so going 3 inch column i would just need to get a 2 inch to 3 inch adapter i assume? I have been following some of the videos on utube from Jesse of Still IT and he is running a CCVM style still and i like the flexibility that gives you. I think that working with a CCVM would help me develop more skills as a distiller working with the condenser height but too new to really have proper input on the matter. Is there much else that differs from 2 to 3 inch, are there some ocns that i may have missed in browsing the forums, and having 2 2000w heating elements should suffice for a 3 inch CCVM? Thanks in advance guys cant wait to get the build underway.
Last edited by Critta on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Critta

Postby woodduck » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi there, welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

I can't see a problem with 3" mate if that's what ya like :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Yonder » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Welcome. Sounds like you know where your goin' with the build. Look forward to seeing it grow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby Critta » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys, yeah i will start up a build thread soon once i have finished gathering all the various bits and pieces, got some umming and aaing atm about whether to buy ferrules or do the pipe flanges like MacStills tutorials says. I have almost no experience with soldering/brazing and metal work that im not sure if i will pull of a satisfactory result. Time will tell, still on the hunt for some 3" copper pipe so i can start making the shotgun condenser, was thinking 45mm in length for a 3" shotty with 6 1/2 inch channels would be enough? Anyways will start a build thread shortly. If anyone knows a good spot to get some welding done pakenham way would love to know as i need some welding work on the boiler done. Thanks again guys, awesome to be a part of this community
Critta

Return to Welcome Centre