Intro's

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Intro's

Postby Lexanium » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 am

Hey everyone, thanks for having me.
My names Alex and im 25 living in Melbourne. I started distilling about 2 years ago on and off. got into the whole turbo thing to get me started. that lasted about 3 months before i got sick of the cost of buying individual sachet's. i partnered up with my older brother who got into brewing beer and cider around the same time. we discovered the recipes on this site and that's wen the real learning began. we since moved away from each other, only trading in alcohol and advice from time to time. so now ive taken of the title of 'distiller' and he took on 'brewer'.
ive learnt to work the t500 pretty well, trying to work the shortfalls as best i can. eventually i want to upgrade to something more substantial(preferably make it myself) but while im young and learning the t500 is best for me.
I run the pot still attachments as im a huge fan of rum. i grew up in Queensland living next to cane fields and smelling the local sugar mill all day. this is the most probable reason for my love of rum.

Im a father of 2 girls and don't have endless time for my hobby but i know i will post form time to time. this is a great source of information and inspiration.

Im always looking for a cheaper, more traditional form of creating alcohol. i get kicks out of making something instead of buying it. My goal is to combine my love of horticulture with my love of distilling and brewing.

i love getting advice from experienced people, and im always up for a chat so dont be shy with me.
Im looking forward to becoming a more active member of the forums.

Cheer's everyone,
Alex
Lexanium

equipment: t500 With pot still top. A pretty basic setup for now while i learn my craft. taking my time to do it right. other than the still most things are put together from bits and pieces Ive gathered from op-shops.

Re: Intro's

Postby woodduck » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:51 am

Hi Alex, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Great intro :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sounds like your onto it. Have a good read of the build threads, there's plenty of inspiration in there. Good luck with the build mate.

Enjoy the forum
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:03 am

Welcome here mate sounds like there is a still build in your future :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am

Hi mate :greetings-waveyellow:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby dans.brew » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Gday Alex! :greetings-waveyellow:
Welcome to the forum.
Im hearing ya with the wee little problem of time restraints as i have a couple of little tackers that keep me busy too.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:10 pm

Welcome Alex.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Cadmoon » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Hey Alex, also new here but welcome.
Cadmoon

equipment: Home made pelican with shotgun condenser on a t500 with alembic dome.

Postby Lexanium » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:24 am

dans.brew wrote:Gday Alex! :greetings-waveyellow:
Welcome to the forum.
Im hearing ya with the wee little problem of time restraints as i have a couple of little tackers that keep me busy too.

Nice! ive got two girls one 4 and one under a year. It gets hard keeping them out of everything. makes safety a big thing. but i like to think about when their older and know that alcohol doesnt come from a shop.
Lexanium

equipment: t500 With pot still top. A pretty basic setup for now while i learn my craft. taking my time to do it right. other than the still most things are put together from bits and pieces Ive gathered from op-shops.

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 am

Lexanium wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Nice! ive got two girls one 4 and one under a year. It gets hard keeping them out of everything. makes safety a big thing. but i like to think about when their older and know that alcohol doesnt come from a shop.

Yeah just be careful when they go to school, you don't want them telling the teacher "my dad makes whisky in his garage" :teasing-tease:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby dans.brew » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:53 am

Lexanium wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

:text-+1: They do like to get into things... their safety is number one priority. Mine are about the same age, so pleanty of energy.. especially at 6.30 in the morning :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:25 am

Sam. wrote:
Lexanium wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Yeah just be careful when they go to school, you don't want them telling the teacher "my dad makes whisky in his garage" :teasing-tease:

But great for Y11/12 Chemistry!!!

Welcome - :greetings-waveyellow:
Last edited by The Dark Alchemist on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: FSD 200L Milk Can
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD Neutraliser
Copper T-500

Postby Lexanium » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:31 pm

Sam. wrote:
Lexanium wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

ok well thats a good point. ill tell them im trying to invent a milk machine or something haha
Lexanium

Return to Welcome Centre