Delayed Intro

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Delayed Intro

Postby Justin_P » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi All,

I stumbled onto this great site last year, but due to being away with work, I haven't had an opportunity to do much more than look at all the great builds on here with envy and read through all the recipes. I'm looking to build my own still in the middle of the year when work dies down and will be focusing on rum and gin once that is done so any advice is always appreciated.

Currently located in Sydney and have access to a workshop with everything I would probably need to build one so will be asking questions on best suppliers etc for pipe and fittings and mistakes to avoid.

Looking forward to the journey.

Cheers

Justin
Justin_P

equipment: 5 Star 4" Eliminator and keg boiler

Re: Delayed Intro

Postby dans.brew » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:31 am

Justin_P wrote:Currently located in Sydney and have access to a workshop with everything I would probably need to build one so will be asking questions on best suppliers etc for pipe and fittings and mistakes to avoid.

Looking forward to the journey.

Cheers

Justin

Gday Justin! :greetings-waveyellow:
Good to hear that your going to give building a crack. My advice at this stage would be to keep your eyes open for all the bits and pieces you will/ might need for your build. Scrappies are a good place to start for copper as well as commercial plumbers. They usually have a healthy size offcuts bin and a fair few fittings sitting around... thats where i got most of my supplies from. If you get really stuck just shout out on here and someone may be able to help you out.
The beauty of getting everything sorted now is when that day comes that you can start, your not waiting on supplies which can get very frustrating.
Apart from this just keep reading up on builds so that you have your head clearly around the ins and outs of a still.
Good luck with it!
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:55 am

Gday Justin, 4” bubbler, enough said :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 am

Welcome Justin.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:40 am

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Justin_P » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks everyone. Definitely looking at all the 4" bubbler builds with envy and just trying to decide on whether to make a glasser or not.Will try and regularly visit the scrappies until I have enough bis and pieces.

Cheers

Justin
Justin_P

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Go the glasser, I love being able to see the whole plate bubble, very mesmerising
I follow Woodducks build and wouldn’t change a thing
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi mate :greetings-waveyellow: welcome aboard.

You won't be disappointed with a 4" bubbler. There is something special about building your own. It may not be cheaper in the end but it's a nice feeling watching it bubble for the first time.

Read, read, read is my advice. I read every bubbler build from front to back before I built mine and anything I saw that I liked I bookmarked it and made note of what it was and what page, made finding it again much easier cause you can get lost in the pages pretty quick.

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Justin_P » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks for the advice. Have already read through a number of build threads for ideas and motivation but will revisit them and bookmark the ones I like. The ability to see all the plates loading up is the big draw card.

Also still looking for ideas on what to do to easily add plates when looking to do a gin or more neutral style spirit instead of rum.

Cheers

Justin
Justin_P

Postby Justin_P » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:37 pm

Ps just missed out on a 3.5m length of 100mm copper pipe today. Very frustrating though will keep looking for all the parts I'm going to need.
Justin_P

Postby dans.brew » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Justin_P wrote:Ps just missed out on a 3.5m length of 100mm copper pipe today. Very frustrating though will keep looking for all the parts I'm going to need.

Bugger... keep looking though, you'll will get there!
dans.brew

Postby woodduck » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:37 am

Have you read my glass duck thread? Near the end you'll see how I added a couple extra plates.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Justin_P » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Hey Woodduck,

I Read your build thread and like the build, just thinking of some other options for attaching as would love to have the ability to add on extra glass sections. I know it will be a lot more effort but can't help myself from toying with the idea. One of the downsides of being a mechanical engineer away travelling with work. Cant don't anything hands on whilst away so spend the time thinking of different options. May even try to draw some up when I get a bit more time over the coming weeks.

Cheers

Justin
Justin_P

Postby Justin_P » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:06 pm

Have had a change of plans. The opportunity came up to buy a Five Star 4" eliminator and keg boiler instead of building my own so I am now the proud owner of a 4 plate bubbler. Still thinking of building my own thumper and carter head a bit later on once I have a bit more experience. Now to try and get some molasses here in sydney and have a go at making rum and then ageing on dominos.
Justin_P

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:12 pm

Awesome :dance:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby dans.brew » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:57 pm

Nice Justin! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rum is a great place to start with your new toy... You will be able to make some top notch rum thats for sure.
I ran a Rum through my 4 plater for the first time the other day.. so far very nice. Up until now its all gone through a pot still
so it will be an interesting comparison to compare my recent stuff to my pot stilled after it has aged a bit... anyway
have fun playing with your new toy.
dans.brew

Return to Welcome Centre