Gday and thanks

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday and thanks

Postby Peatymcpeatface » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:09 am

Hi guys i have been distilling for 18 months now, read so much and still feel like i'm in pre school. I started with the Turbo stuff and soon learnt to change my ways. I have done a few TPW's, the Macwhisky, Odins gins, and about 10 or so AG mashes for whisky ( i get poor results, low abv3-4% washes). I use a Still spirits Alembic on a 25l boiler which has taught me a bunch. I save 200mls from every run to put away to re taste in the future to compare and see the my growth. I am ready to jump into something bigger and better I am just unsure which way to go as of yet. The still names ie Boka, bubblers and differences in their purpose etc still confuse me so i feel i am not quite ready. But when i am i will put down about 2-3k for a setup with around 100l boiler. I absolutely love this hobby, i read, read and re read so many posts on here and it satisfies me knowing that I have a life long hobby ahead of me with room to grow. Thanks for all the priceless knowledge on this forum. I look forward to chatting with you guys in the future. Yeehaa!!!
Peatymcpeatface

equipment: 60l Fermenter, 60l pot still, 30l alembic pot

Re: Gday and thanks

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:26 am

Gday peaty, looks like you’re off to a good start, the newbies corner has heaps of info on the difference in types of stills but essentially if you want to make more brown spirits (like whiskey) than neutrals (vodka) then a 4” bubbler would be best,
If you want to make more neutrals than brown spirits then a boka would be best.
Either way, the best stills are here from Five Star, check out the store link at the top of the page :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:37 am

Hi there, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

It's great to hear your enjoying this forum and the hobby. If you are keen to stay in the hobby I would definitely recommend a 4" bubbler with at least 5 plates and a packed section so you can do neutrals and brown spirits with the same rig. Definitely give 5 star a look, they are bloody good stills. Or you could have a crack at building your own with the guidance of the threads on this forum.

Here is a thread on the different types of stills that might help you out.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117

Good luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Peatymcpeatface » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:51 am

Doubleuj wrote:Gday peaty, looks like you’re off to a good start, the newbies corner has heaps of info on the difference in types of stills but essentially if you want to make more brown spirits (like whiskey) than neutrals (vodka) then a 4” bubbler would be best,
If you want to make more neutrals than brown spirits then a boka would be best.
Either way, the best stills are here from Five Star, check out the store link at the top of the page :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks mate i didnt realise there was a store that is great. I will have a look, i really want to make both, family loves gin and i love brown spirits so something that could accommodate both would suit me best unless i had two stills :dance:
Peatymcpeatface

Postby Peatymcpeatface » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 am

woodduck wrote:Hi there, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

It's great to hear your enjoying this forum and the hobby. If you are keen to stay in the hobby I would definitely recommend a 4" bubbler with at least 5 plates and a packed section so you can do neutrals and brown spirits with the same rig. Definitely give 5 star a look, they are bloody good stills. Or you could have a crack at building your own with the guidance of the threads on this forum.

Here is a thread on the different types of stills that might help you out.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117

Good luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for the welcome and the link i will read it now. I am definitely considering a build myself too i just need to up my game in a few areas
Peatymcpeatface

Postby Sam. » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:07 am

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What all grain are you doing? 4% is a bit light on for reward versus the effort.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Peatymcpeatface » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:17 am

Sam. wrote:Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What all grain are you doing? 4% is a bit light on for reward versus the effort.

Yeah yield has been low. Been mashing in a 35l robobrew, just using different barley such as pale ale malt, some peated malts etc.

Just trying different recipes to see.
Last edited by Peatymcpeatface on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peatymcpeatface

Return to Welcome Centre