Another noob from the NSW Central Coast

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Another noob from the NSW Central Coast

Postby bluc » Thu May 16, 2019 10:03 pm

You want a 4 by 2 tee at top and you want enough pipe length below that to hold a basket directly below that you want an rc so you can put it in full reflux open top and change basket without vapour escaping..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 pm

Or a Carter head :D
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Amberale » Fri May 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Thank guys.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Professor Green » Fri May 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Sorry, a bit late to the party.

The arrangement I posted is not a carter head. It could go straight onto the boiler or a section of empty TC pipe (or an SGTee or 2 previously mentioned) if you need clearance for your PC. The RC at the bottom and the tee at the top is crucial to being able to change baskets as it gives you the ability to stop the vapour from rising into the basket receiver by putting the still into full reflux whilst you pop the end cap off the top of the tee and remove the basket without the need to partially disassemble the hot still which is what you'd have to do if you used the 180 deg bend at the top.

A standard packed section would probably be too long to be used as a basket receiver.

Run it with neutral hearts only otherwise you'll need to make your cuts on the fly.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Amberale » Fri May 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks Prof.
Your unit looks good and I can see how it would work.
I think I’m best off to practice with what I’ve got and maybe make some bathtub gin while I sort out the other stuff.
As it is I’ve been enjoying SS cordials in Turbo rocket fuel for years so the hearts I’m getting now should be heaps better.
Hopefully the beef prices will rise later in the year and I can afford a blockhead or a Carter and a 100litre milk can and and and.... :)
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Shano592 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:03 pm

Well, 4 weeks later, and it would appear that this keg is determined not to part with it's coupling lid.

I spent 3 weeks spraying wd40 on the joint, each time I walked past it. Stilsons and a lump hammer had zero effect, except for the ringing in my ears...

Today I tried heat, and quite a bit of it. Still, not a millimetre of motion.

SIGH

I guess this one becomes the lady's new planter...

I know there is a guy at the top of Lake Macquarie, who is selling legitimately retired 50-litre stainless kegs for $60. I may have to go that route. Maybe I will get him to supply one with a missing lid...
Shano592

equipment: .
2" Boka - The Gin Genie - For Sale
2" Pot - The Drunk Pelican
3" Bubbler - The Gin Genie MkII

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:42 pm

You could just cut it off and TIG a 4inch ferrule in its place.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Sam. » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:50 pm

hillzabilly wrote:You could just cut it off and TIG a 4inch ferrule in its place.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

:text-+1:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Shano592 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:44 pm

That is actually the plan, except with a 2" ferrule.

Next one will have a bigger aperture. But while I'm learning, I'll keep it simple (that is, cheap!).
Shano592

Postby Shano592 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:18 am

Being a persistent sod, I thought I would have one more go with heat... this time with a blow torch. I had the coupling just approaching a lovely glowing red, and applied the stilsons, then applied sudden, violent impact.

Nothing. Not even a millimetre of release. :angry-banghead:

So, I went home and grabbed a canister of cutting wheels. I will head over to my partner's house (where the cordless grinder currently is), and will fix it once and for all, this afternoon.

On a happy note, the 2" triclamps and associated ferrules arrived in the mail yesterday! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Shano592

Postby Ned » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:39 pm

bluc wrote:You want a 4 by 2 tee at top and you want enough pipe length below that to hold a basket directly below that you want an rc so you can put it in full reflux open top and change basket without vapour escaping..

Bluc. Whats your thoughts on this. I would like to try a gin basket and I have a 5SD bubbler (4" 4 plates with a 500 packed section and a blockhead) The block head is because of limited height in my brew area.
Take out one bubble plate and move that T Section to on top of the RC and below the block head.
This would give me a sight glass to see whats going on.
I would be able to use a gin basket 97mm by 220mm in length.
Hopefully I would still be able to get full reflux with 3 plate and the packed section. To change basket etc.
Your thoughts. :text-thankyoublue:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 am

If you make your neutral first you dont need your packed section on. So to bring your collection height to resonable level. Remove your packed section go 3 tees rc 4th tee and blockhead.
Remember to always put it in full reflux before changing baskets :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Ned » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:41 am

bluc wrote:If you make your neutral first you dont need your packed section on. So to bring your collection height to resonable level. Remove your packed section go 3 tees rc 4th tee and blockhead.
Remember to always put it in full reflux before changing baskets :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for input . That was my thinking. I would have to remove the packed section, because I could not change the basket. Woke up in the middle of the night and realised that. :laughing-rolling: :text-lol: :text-thankyoublue:
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre