Intro from Adelaide

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Intro from Adelaide

Postby RoytheBoy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:52 am

Hi All,

Just thought I would introduce myself.

I have been “lurking” in the background for a few weeks busily devouring all of the technical info whilst on a parts sourcing mission. The intent is to build an offset head column that will eventually sit on a 50lt boiler (type M coupler). Column height will be 1200mm with a 200mm condenser packed with stainless scourers. A few more bits and pieces to get and then fabrication time!

I do have one question though... the “boiler” I managed to lay my hands on was last filled 11/2018 and has sat in someone’s garage up until 3 weeks ago. I have since removered the spear and cleaned with approx 40ltrs of hot water and 4 finish dishwasher tablets.. I sealed he4 up and let sit for 48 hrs aggitating several times a day. After draining and rinsing I can see that the inside is spotless and smells clean with very beer odor. However, the interior finish appears to be a dark grey to brackish in color - before and after cleaning. Is this normal? I had assumed the the interior would be a bright stainless appearance. Can I assume that the stainless has been passivated?

Look forward the any insights. :-B

By the way... love the Site!!

RtB
RoytheBoy

equipment: 50lt keg boiler (gas) with 1.2m x 50mm Nixon Stone Relux Column packed with SS scrubbers.

Re: Intro from Adelaide

Postby woodduck » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:19 am

Hi there and welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Sorry can't help with the keg question.

Good luck with the build mate.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am

I’d say the dishwasher tablets might have affected the inside. Probably won’t hurt.
Maybe try some cold water cleaner from the brew shop.
Welcome here btw :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby The Stig » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:38 pm

I would just use Napisan
Works a treat
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RoytheBoy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:13 pm

woodduck wrote:Hi there and welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Sorry can't help with the keg question.

Good luck with the build mate.

Thanks Woodduck
RoytheBoy

equipment: 50lt keg boiler (gas) with 1.2m x 50mm Nixon Stone Relux Column packed with SS scrubbers.

Postby RoytheBoy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Doubleuj wrote:I’d say the dishwasher tablets might have affected the inside. Probably won’t hurt.
Maybe try some cold water cleaner from the brew shop.
Welcome here btw :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers and Thanks
RoytheBoy

Postby RoytheBoy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:15 pm

The Stig wrote:I would just use Napisan
Works a treat

Thanks Stig.
Will give it a try.
RoytheBoy

Postby RC Al » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:38 pm

This will be the coating inside the keg, what its for, as i was informed by a vineyard owner a couple of weeks ago, is to keep the product carbonated longer, apparently bare SS reacts with the bubbles adversely, this link claims its to stop metallic tasting product, both make sense, https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=36003

What its made of i dont know (some sort of epoxy?) but we probably should, i'm just about to jump over to an old 80l keg without said coating, so im not too stressed about it for myself
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby scythe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:50 pm

I wouldn't think there was coating inside a stainless keg there isn't in mine at least.
The liner/coating they are referring to is to do with aluminium kegs for beer.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby RoytheBoy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:51 am

I don’t think is a coating per se. it’s more like a Passivation treatment. I will try to take a few images over the weekend. Hopefully it has had time to dry since the wash. It’s a fairly new keg by the appearance of it and is manufactured in Europe.

Cheers
RoytheBoy

Postby Lowie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Once you've started stillin the inside of your keg is going to change, especially if you make rum! I wouldn't be worrying about it myself.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 pm

If your just talking dull silver vs highly polished yea my guess is passivated...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Triangle » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:22 pm

The interior should be dull grey but not dark if stainless and in good condition.

Stainless steel is stainless when there is a chromium oxide layer formed by exposure to oxygen (hence the dull finish).

Black is from being left in a wet environment and/or caustic material esp. salt......dishwasher tablets/chlorine bleaches etc. Best always stored dry and exposed to oxygen.

I don't know the makeup of the SS used in kegs, if there is Nickel then that will turn black if exposed......

Can you get a picture up?
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby RoytheBoy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Triangle wrote:The interior should be dull grey but not dark if stainless and in good condition.

Stainless steel is stainless when there is a chromium oxide layer formed by exposure to oxygen (hence the dull finish).

Black is from being left in a wet environment and/or caustic material esp. salt......dishwasher tablets/chlorine bleaches etc. Best always stored dry and exposed to oxygen.

I don't know the makeup of the SS used in kegs, if there is Nickel then that will turn black if exposed......

Can you get a picture up?

Yes will post an image this weekend. It is a dull gray. Based on the previous comment re Passivation I m feeling that this is the case.
RoytheBoy

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:28 pm

Welcome to AD RoytheBoy.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RoytheBoy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Professor Green wrote:Welcome to AD RoytheBoy.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Thanks Prof. Green
RoytheBoy

Postby db1979 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Lowie wrote:Once you've started stillin the inside of your keg is going to change, especially if you make rum! I wouldn't be worrying about it myself.

:text-+1: although I have no experience with rum. Only volatile substances make it out of the boiler and into the column so what's in the boiler is less of a concern than what's in the still, especially the product side of the still.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby RoytheBoy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I had a bettter look now that the keg is well an truly dry inside and what I thought was a dark grey surface colour, is now more of an lighter satin type finish. I think the wet interior had looked much darker. :roll:

Happy days!!
RoytheBoy

Return to Welcome Centre