Hello fellow distillers

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello fellow distillers

Postby Nathan. » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Nathan and I am a distilling virgin :greetings-waveyellow:

I've been reading up a fair bit and came across this group and boy is there a bit to read or what. Before I start asking to questions that have been answered a million times I will keep reading through the pages of info here first.

I'm interested in making whiskeys and neutrals to start at first then move into the fun stuff.

So far I have a kindly donated 25L boiler and a T500 which is missing a few bits, so not sure wether I try and get the missing pieces to the puzzle or if I set my sights on a nice 4″ FSD Neutralizer. Probably a little over ambitious so probably get a 2" reflux to start with.

I'm from Quakers Hill NSW so if there is anyone local that can give me a helping hand please give me a shout.

Nathan
Nathan.

equipment: Just starting so no equipment yet.

Re: Hello fellow distillers

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi mate welcome to the forum
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby dans.brew » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Welcome mate! :greetings-waveyellow:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Welcome bud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:57 am

Welcome Nathan.

There's nothing wrong with jumping in at the top! The neutraliser will certainly give you the ability to make the spirits you're looking to make depending on how you assemble it and it IS the cream of the off the shelf stills however you will need to get a different boiler as it will be way too heavy for the T500 boiler and it may not even be powerful enough to drive it. I can recommend the milk can boilers, they're excellent and the 50 litre capacity pairs really well with the neutraliser.

If you do want to start out with smaller batches using the T500 boiler, you can't go past the the 5 Star 2" boka for your neutral. Couple it with a few extra bits to give you the pot still functionality for your flavoured spirits and you'll be well sorted. Some of the pot still parts could even be be re-used should you later decide to move up to a larger still and boiler combo.

Another thing to consider is where you will be running the still. The neutraliser is a big bugger - my one when mounted on my 100 litre boiler is in excess of 2.4 metres tall (even with a blockhead rather than the 90 deg bends at the top) so it doesn't fit under my shed roof. I have to run 4 plates rather than 5 which gives me just 5mm clearance to the roof!

Best bet is to give Andrew at 5 Star a call and discuss your needs with him - he'll see you right.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Nathan. » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks for the advice Professor Green, I don't think I will spulrge out just yet although it is tempting. I will look up the 2" Boka so I can get started and get familiar with everything. I plan on setting it all up in my shed which is only 2.4 high so ill take your advice into consideration.
Nathan.

equipment: Just starting so no equipment yet.

Postby woodduck » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:45 am

A boka will be a good starter rig as it can do both neutrals and brown spirits. They aren't real fast but they do make a nice neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre