Newbie from Tasmania

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Newbie from Tasmania

Postby rfvdw » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:30 am

Hi all

another new member here

I'm currently assembling my first pot still. I've got a 50l keg to use as a boiler, as a start I'll run it over a gas burner but would like to upgrade to elements later on. I'll be using 2" copper tube with a 3/4" over 1/2" liebig condenser. I've already made the liebig and was surprised that I managed to solder something together and it's not falling apart :-D

I'm hoping to get the still finished in the next week or so. I'm thinking of starting either with the Cornflakes or NutriGrain whiskey wash from the tried and proven section :happy-partydance:

I'll post some pics once the still is complete

Cheers
rfvdw

equipment: 2" Pot still
50l keg boiler

Re: Newbie from Tasmania

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:55 pm

welcome mate, can't wait to see some pics. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Sam. » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:13 pm

TasSpirits wrote:welcome mate, can't wait to see some pics. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: welcome bud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:48 pm

Gday mate, either of those recipes will give you a nice drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:

if you haven’t read it elsewhere on the forum, the best way to run a pot still is just an unbroken stream. So once she’s up and running, back off your power/ heat till the stream of alcohol is “broken” ( think a tap that’s not open enough) then slowly increase your power until the stream is unbroken.

And be harsh on cuts in the early stages :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:51 pm

G-day,welcome to the fold,was glad ta see ya got ya copper bits sorted ,hope all goes well.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby dans.brew » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Welcome! :greetings-waveyellow:
rfvdw wrote:
I'm hoping to get the still finished in the next week or so. I'm thinking of starting either with the Cornflakes or NutriGrain whiskey wash from the tried and proven section :happy-partydance:

I would suggest getting your fermenter fired up before your still is done, if your anything like me you will be itching to run it when its done... nothing worse than waiting for the wash to finish fermenting. A wash can sit for a while if its sealed up fairly well.. in case your still isn't done in time.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby rfvdw » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Doubleuj, I was wondering about the heat and have not read that elsewhere. Thanks for the tip, I'll aim for that on my first run. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

dans.brew, I was thinking the same. I started a TPW wash tonight for my sac run. I've read the TPW is not meant for a pot still, but as I'm going to chuck it out i thought it should be OK...?
I'll try to stop at bunnings tomorrow for another bucket so I can start the Cornflake wash. I don't want to wait a week after doing my sac run before I can do a proper run, I'm already impatient :-D
rfvdw

50l keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:08 am

Welcome mate. Looks like you've got it under control :handgestures-thumbupleft:

TPW will be fine for a sac run. Keep what you get out for future sac runs if you ever build another still.

CFW is delicious you won't be disappointed :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck mate
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby rfvdw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:29 pm

So this is what I've come up with so far. I've done a water/vinegar run and it seemed to go OK. No leaks at least. My easy flange is a bit rough, I'll try to redo it at some point down the line. It also needs a bit more sanding/polish on the joints.

Now I'm waiting for the TPW to finish so that I can do the sac run. My CFW is also bubbling away, I'm hoping to run it through over the weekend :-D

My liebig is fairly long (900mm), just because the tube I got came in 1.5m lengths from bunnings... Does it improve performance at all if the liebig is this long?

20190729_202154.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rfvdw

50l keg boiler

Postby dans.brew » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:17 pm

rfvdw wrote:Now I'm waiting for the TPW to finish so that I can do the sac run. My CFW is also bubbling away, I'm hoping to run it through over the weekend :-D

My liebig is fairly long (900mm), just because the tube I got came in 1.5m lengths from bunnings... Does it improve performance at all if the liebig is this long?

Nice looking still mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Im sure your on to it, but make sure you use glass to collect your spirit in... plastic is no good.
A liebig that long won't greatly benefit you for a spirit run because you are only chasing that broken stream, but for a stripping run you will be able to run a bit harder because it should knock vapour down well.
dans.brew

Postby db1979 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:07 am

Looks good. A long liebig is good when running on gas as it takes the output further away from the flame.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby woodduck » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:25 am

:text-+1: with these blokes. It's better to have too much cooling than not enough. It's good to have your take off away from those flames too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Hazy250 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 am

Looks great mate and welcome.
Hazy fellow newbie
Hazy250

equipment: Pot hand made copper

Postby rfvdw » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks for the replies guys. My plan is to convert to electricity some time down the line, but until then I'll keep the liebig as is for extra safety. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

dans.brew, for sure. The plastic was just for catching the vinegar. I'll be using glass when doing my actual runs.

Cheers
rfvdw

50l keg boiler

Postby db1979 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:02 pm

You can make a shotgun when you covert to electricity. The next step after that is bubbler :happy-partydance:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby dans.brew » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:56 pm

rfvdw wrote:
dans.brew, for sure. The plastic was just for catching the vinegar. I'll be using glass when doing my actual runs.

Cheers

Great stuff... it was just as much a reminder for others reading and looking at your pics as you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Return to Welcome Centre