Newbies and TPW

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Newbies and TPW

Postby grasmere » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:42 pm

I appreciate that new contributors are advised to go to Newbies Corner, which I have done on several occasions, but after two failures and ruination of 2 lots of 6kgs of Pale Malt Barrett and 6 Kgs of Peat Smoked Malt in anticipation of Making a good Scottish Whiskey, I eventually came to the Tomato Paste Wash forums, and that was only because I wanted to know what the often mention of TPW meant.
I visited ALDIS today and bought the necessary ingredients and plan to start tomorrow.
Would it not be a good idea to point newbies such as my self tot the Tomato Paste Wash forum
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Re: Newbies and TPW

Postby woodduck » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:59 am

I believe they do quite often. You must remember that a newbie with a pot still wouldn't be sent there as the TPW isn't any good for a pot still. These people are usually directed to recipes like CFW and NGW.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Lowie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:02 am

You've obviously got brewing experience (brewzilla), so I'm wondering how how you fucked the two AG mashes? Was the OG lower than you expected (because it most likely would be?). Have you looked at Blucs AG whiskey thread? There's also the Macwhiskey (in the tried and proven recipe section) that makes a really nice whiskey using a tin of LME and grains.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby bluc » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Out of interest what was mash bill mash thickness and method did you sparge ? And gravity in fermenter?
Last edited by bluc on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby grasmere » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:14 pm

Thank you for the replies. It is a case of walking before I can run. My experience has been solely with Still Spirits making neutral spirit using Classic 8 Turbo yeast in the 25Ltrs BeerMe reflux boiler making Gin whiskey etc with flavoring essences. My local supplier made up the Malt Grain bags for me and gave me written notes on the steps required to use my new 35Ltr Brewzilla. I didn't make any notes regarding Initial and final SGs, hence the failures.
I have now so many notes from this chat forum, that I need to keep going over them to see if I have doubled up, especially for the TPS section
I have a 25 Ltr Fermenter with the Weetbix recipe and a 35 Ltr with TPS both bubbling away merrily with alternating heat belts and blankets to keep the temperatures around the 20 -25c .
Am I correct in saying that I should use the 35Ltr Brewzilla Boiler with the 25 Ltr Reflux column without the column reflux packing for stripping and Spirit run.
What is Gen 1,2,3,etc? and what and how do you use backset?
Advice would be much appreciated
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Postby grasmere » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Bluc I had a mash bill of 3KG of Pale Malt Barrett and 3Kg of Peat Smoked Malt initially which I tried in the 25Ltr BeerMe Boiler in a mash bag, and found that I could only get about 5Kg in it. That wasnt at all successful and would have resulted in my final Spirit of about 2.25Ltrs. The second time I did the same recipe with the Brewzilla and much the same result. As I didn't have a clue about what Initial and Final Gravity I had, I really don't know where I went wrong, probably at every stage.
So I am reading up on everything in the chat forum to make sure that I get it right hopefully this time
grasmere

Postby BigRig » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:23 am

I have no experience in what you have done previously so not going to comment but i have done a few TPW now but still classify myself as a newbie but all u will get out of a 25-30L tpw is 2 - 2.5L alc also.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Return to Welcome Centre