New to Distilling

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New to Distilling

Postby Hasra23 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi guys,

I am new here and everyone recommended to post in here. I bought an Air still a few weeks ago (which I'm now realising was probably a mistake) and have done a couple of turbo wash's which have tasted pretty average. I have just put on a TPW from the recipe section and it is bubbling away nicely.

I am just wondering what everyone recommends doing for a still, should I stick it out with the Air still for a while and see how it goes or should I just bite the bullet and get something else? If so what?
Hasra23

equipment: Newbie

Re: New to Distilling

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Welcome here mate.

Firstly I would say do plenty of research before you spend your hard earned.

First question is what type of drinks do you want to make? This will determine was still(s) you will need :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:30 pm

G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

The air still is a pot still really so your better off with one of the cereal based washes like the cornflakes whiskey. The air still won't get enough of the flavor out of the tpw I don't think so you'll probably end up with tomato whisky :laughing-rolling: .

The air still will be ok if you don't want a lot of out put but it is pretty limited in what it can do.

All the best
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:09 pm

Welcome Hasra23.

There's great thread here on getting the most our of your Air still.

I agree with woodduck that you're best off having a go at the cereal based washes. Use the Air Still to learn about distilling and cutting whilst researching what type if still you'd like to move up to.

As Sam said, have a think about what type of spirits you really want to make as that will determine the type of still you require. Other things to consider are budget, how much room you have to work in and how much time you have available to spend distilling.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Hasra23 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I would mostly like to make whisky/bourbon and maybe a small amount of vodka.

I will give one of the cereals wash a go as well then and check out the air still thread. Thanks
Hasra23

Postby southern45 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:13 pm

Welcome. Cereal washes are good for an Air Still. Check out the double distilling method (flow diagram somewhere on this site) when using an Air Still the proper way, rather than the way the instructions tell you to run it!
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby Professor Green » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:31 pm

southern45 wrote:Check out the double distilling method (flow diagram somewhere on this site) when using an Air Still the proper way, rather than the way the instructions tell you to run it!

That'd be in the thread I linked in my earlier post!
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby southern45 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:25 pm

Professor Green wrote:That'd be in the thread I linked in my earlier post!

Actually that wasn't it.

Although very similar I think this one is streamlined somewhat and easier to follow (for me at least when I was starting) It's also included in the instruction PDF file I've attached, which is what I always referred back to when I was first getting into using my Air Still.

Also in attachment: How to get the best out of an Air Still ...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
southern45

Postby Hasra23 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:27 am

southern45 wrote:
Professor Green wrote:That'd be in the thread I linked in my earlier post!

Actually that wasn't it.

Although very similar I think this one is streamlined somewhat and easier to follow (for me at least when I was starting) It's also included in the instruction PDF file I've attached, which is what I always referred back to when I was first getting into using my Air Still.

Also in attachment: How to get the best out of an Air Still ...

Thanks for the Info, I have just finished the spirit runs for a weetbix All Bran wash and ended up with about 3L at just over 70% ABV of hearts, I found it fairly easy to figure out when the tails were coming through as it smelt like wet dog mixed with burnt cardboard but I couldn't really tell the difference between heads and hearts so just went with around 200-300mil of heads.

It already tastes 10x better than the turbo crap, Im going to try soaking it on some American Oak chips and see how it goes. I got the chips with a pack thing from the HBS and they are quite small any suggestion on how many grams to use per L and should I dilute the hearts to 65% or 40% for soaking?
Hasra23

Postby woodduck » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:47 am

Be careful of those chips, they aren't really the best thing to use. They have a lot of end grain which releases a lot of tannins or something scientific like that, pretty much means colors quick and tastes a bit off/bitter. So I would keep a close eye on it every few days just to make sure it's going ok.

Oak dominoes are a better option. I think 5 star sell them ready to go. I would work on 10-15g per liter and keep an eye on it. There is no set rule for time as each bit of oak is different and temperature can also effect time. It is a trial and error thing unfortunately.

Best of luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Hasra23 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:56 am

Yea I'd say I put too much of the chips in, used about 50g in just under 3L @65% and overnight it is already the same colour as a bottle of JD :laughing-rolling:

I have taken out about half of the wood chips and will let it sit for a few days and see how it goes.

I also just ordered some dominoes from 5 star for the next batch, thanks for the tip.
Last edited by Hasra23 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hasra23

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:06 am

Hasra23 wrote:I also just ordered some dominoes from 5 star for the next batch, thanks for the tip.

Ive just picked and packed these and Ill post them later today.
You should have them Monday :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thanks
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby southern45 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Hasra23 wrote:Yea I'd say I put too much of the chips in, used about 50g in just under 3L @65% and overnight it is already the same colour as a bottle of JD :laughing-rolling:

I have taken out about half of the wood chips and will let it sit for a few days and see how it goes.

I also just ordered some dominoes from 5 star for the next batch, thanks for the tip.

Take all the HBS chips out and whack a domino or two in when they arrive, then leave it hidden away in the cupboard for as long as you can resist... ;-)
southern45

Return to Welcome Centre