Gday from Gippsland

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday from Gippsland

Postby Docjango » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:23 am

Hey there,

An absolute newbie here. Recently, semi retired musician. Went and did a short distilling course at my local HBS and currently going through the process of discovering how I might make good whisky. Looking forward to the journey ahead and hopefully I can lean on you guys for a bit of guidance.
I've done my first still run and it was rather challenging, but have discovered that being on tank water has it's challenges.
Starting fairly basic (yeah i bought the T500) I hope to upgrade as I learn.

Cheers
Doc
Docjango

equipment: 50 litre converted Keg Boiler
Vodka/Gin Set up -5 plate 4" Bubbler "Ethel"
Whisky Set up - Two Plate/Whiskey helmet/Witches hat

Re: Gday from Gippsland

Postby Sam. » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:23 am

Welcome mate.

I would be very wary as to the information a HBS gives you as it’s usually driven to sell you the most expensive products that are not necessary such as turbo yeast, turbo carbon, turbo clear, filtering carbon etc.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby dans.brew » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:24 am

Gday mate!
Welcome to the wonderful world of distillation :happy-partydance:
A simple pot still and a run or 2 of bwko or a macwhiskey will get you where you want to be... and of course, doing good cuts.
Id be fairly sure the hbs didn't mention about cuts when you got your still. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Have a gander in the newbies corner, you will find what you need in there. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:26 am

Welcome Doc.

:text-+1: On what Sam stated.

There's some great info on getting the most from your T500 in the threads linked in here. Just be aware it won't be able make whisky though (unless you bought alembic head).

Do some research before you dive in and buy another still. You're looking to make whisky so a pot still or a bubbler will be on the cards but you'll need to consider a few other things such as budget, space you to distill in and time you can devote to doing it before you move forward.

There's tons of info within the forum so read up and ask questions and we'll be able to help you move forward.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Docjango » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:41 am

Professor Green wrote:Welcome Doc.

:text-+1: On what Sam stated.

There's some great info on getting the most from your T500 in the threads linked in here. Just be aware it won't be able make whisky though (unless you bought alembic head).

Do some research before you dive in and buy another still. You're looking to make whisky so a pot still or a bubbler will be on the cards but you'll need to consider a few other things such as budget, space you to distill in and time you can devote to doing it before you move forward.

There's tons of info within the forum so read up and ask questions and we'll be able to help you move forward.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Thanks Prof,

I am working through a lot of the threads at the moment, and will start my first TPW next. I have two batches of Turbo fermenting, so will run those while I'm waiting on the TPW to do it's thing. I don't have the Alembic yet, that will be next with the view to upgrade to a much better setup in the near future (I am happy to be directed to where to buy an ideal setup for whisky). In the meantime I can experiment with washes and learn the process. I am fortunate that I have a ton of space (empty garage built for large boat), a ton of time (retired) and just sold a house in Melbourne, so am pretty good to go.
I jumped into the T500 on the advice of the HBS and now realise I was a bit hasty and keen to get cracking on something.

Cheers
Docjango

Postby Docjango » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:44 am

dans.brew wrote:Gday mate!
Welcome to the wonderful world of distillation :happy-partydance:
A simple pot still and a run or 2 of bwko or a macwhiskey will get you where you want to be... and of course, doing good cuts.
Id be fairly sure the hbs didn't mention about cuts when you got your still. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Have a gander in the newbies corner, you will find what you need in there. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hey Dan,

You are correct, the HBS left out quite a bit of critical info. But they are good guys so I wont bag them, they do afterall have a business to run.
Looking forward to getting on top of the process of making a good whisky.

Cheers
Docjango

Postby Docjango » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:46 am

Sam. wrote:Welcome mate.

I would be very wary as to the information a HBS gives you as it’s usually driven to sell you the most expensive products that are not necessary such as turbo yeast, turbo carbon, turbo clear, filtering carbon etc.

Hey Sam,

Yep, I appreciate they have a business to run but luckily I have found my way here and look forward to learning from you guru's.

Cheers
Docjango

Postby Professor Green » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Docjango wrote:I don't have the Alembic yet, that will be next with the view to upgrade to a much better setup in the near future (I am happy to be directed to where to buy an ideal setup for whisky).

I would not recommend the still spirits alembic pot, it's severely overpriced for what it is and it's somewhat inadequate for what it does. Save a few more pennies and have a chat to Andrew at 5 Star about a basic 2" pot instead. You'll get much better results and most of the parts can be re-used if you want to upgrade your column at a later stage.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:25 pm

G'day and welcome to the forum :greetings-waveyellow:

I agree with all of the above. Don't rush into anything mate just give the t500 a crack for a while and see where it takes you.

Best of luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Rolls912 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:04 am

Professor Green wrote:
Docjango wrote:I don't have the Alembic yet, that will be next with the view to upgrade to a much better setup in the near future (I am happy to be directed to where to buy an ideal setup for whisky).

I would not recommend the still spirits alembic pot, it's severely overpriced for what it is and it's somewhat inadequate for what it does. Save a few more pennies and have a chat to Andrew at 5 Star about a basic 2" pot instead. You'll get much better results and most of the parts can be re-used if you want to upgrade your column at a later stage.

:text-+1: too.

The T5 cops a bagging but it’s great to learn on for newbies. FSD pot,Boka and milk can will take you to the next level when your ready. Great to see you’re already on the TPW. Also suggest you try the Weetbix/allbran wash. And, as stated above - cutting will make a huge difference to the drinkability of your t5 product.
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby Docjango » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:09 am

Professor Green wrote:

Yep, I have a few other things to get sorted in the process. First thing is to fix my water pressure issue. I'm on tank water and my first run was a bit of a disaster controlling consistent pressure that the T500 demands. I'll whack on a water regulator for the next run.

I do need some assistance finding information on doing stripping runs and spirit runs. I don't quite get what is going on there.
Docjango

Postby Docjango » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:12 am

woodduck wrote:G'day and welcome to the forum :greetings-waveyellow:

I agree with all of the above. Don't rush into anything mate just give the t500 a crack for a while and see where it takes you.

Best of luck

Cheers wooduck, trying not to rush..but keen to get cracking....at least I've made something, not sure of the quality...I've got it seeping on some oak chips at the moment.
Docjango

Postby Docjango » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 am

Rolls912 wrote:
Professor Green wrote:

:text-+1: too.

The T5 cops a bagging but it’s great to learn on for newbies. FSD pot,Boka and milk can will take you to the next level when your ready. Great to see you’re already on the TPW. Also suggest you try the Weetbix/allbran wash. And, as stated above - cutting will make a huge difference to the drinkability of your t5 product.

Cheers mate, is it worth doing a Weetbix wash if the T500 strips to neutral?
Docjango

Postby dans.brew » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 pm

Docjango wrote:I do need some assistance finding information on doing stripping runs and spirit runs. I don't quite get what is going on there.

Have a look in the newbies corner...
To briefly explain... a stripping run is where you put your fermented wash through your still hard and fast (within the limits of what your condenser can handle) and collect all in the one bottle down to 20% Abv. This is now called low wines. Once you complete a few stripping runs, you combine all your low wines together in your boiler and do a spirit run ( no higher than 40% Abv in boiler). This time you will control your output to a broken stream in order to reduce smearing of your cuts, ie for a pot still you would use a power controller to control heat in the boiler. I collect in 200ml cuts throughout a spirit run. There is a guide to doing correct cuts also in the newbies corner.
Not sure that was brief.. oh well. Hope it helps. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Return to Welcome Centre