G'Day

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'Day

Postby Hazza » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:38 am

Hey all,

New to this forum and to distilling.
i recently bought a T500 complete kit and have 2 x 25l wash's fermenting (bought a second fermenter due to excitement)
Also due to excitement bought enough ingredients for 5 more turbo washes which i am now regretting as TPW is apparently the go to.

ill distill the two batches then try and on sell the rest of the turbo wash ingredients to another poor soul lol.

interested in making good quality sctoch, whiskey, bourbon and have a play with different liqueurs.
i plan to age in glass urns and or jars for smaller batches and have a new stainless still Jerry can for storing ready to go neutral spirits

interested in simple do's and donts advice anyone would like to share.

Thanks for listening! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hazza
Hazza

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: G'Day

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Welcome mate, your T500 will be fine to make nuetrel but if you want brown spirits your will want a pot or a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Welcome mate, head to the newbies corner to get the bulk of advice all in one place for people just starting out.

You'll struggle to make a good quality brown spirit with the t500 but if you're happy with using essences to flavour neutral then go ahead.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Professor Green » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Welcome Hazza.

Have a read of this and the threads linked within, they'll help you get the best neutral from your T500.

As the others have mentioned, you'll need a pot still at the very least in order to make whiskies. If you're at all handy, you could make one yourself - there's plenty of build threads in the pot still section to get you thinking. If, like myself, you are all thumbs then you'll need something off-the shelf. Check out the pot stills that 5 Star have to offer - the 2" pot is a good one to match your T500 boiler. Alternatively, if you don't mind second had, keep an eye on the for sale section here as stills do pop up for sale there from time to time.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Hazza » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:33 pm

awesome thanks for the replies and advice. Bit of a shame about not being able to make good product with the set up, i guess i just rushed in without doing proper research on a destilling kit. Guess it was really cheap for a reason.
could be fun tweaking and fine tuning the t500 though ill look into it asap.
Its a hobby after all so whats the fun in getting it perfected right off the bat ehh :))
Hazza

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Gday Hazza, pretty easy to get a good clean neutral from the t500 providing you make those little changes and use the correct wash and do cuts.
It’s just slow in comparison to other stills.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Return to Welcome Centre