Hi all.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi all.

Postby Krylothe » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Been checking out the forum for awhile but been a bit slack in posting. Had a turbo 500, leaked like a sieve so replaced it with the 2" Bokka from 5 Star Distilling and currently putting my first wash through. Looking forward to learning what i can from the pros out there and making some quality spirits .
Krylothe

equipment: Ditched the turbo 500 for a 5 Star Distilling Bokka 2"

Re: Hi all.

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:28 pm

Welcome sounds like you have the right foot forward :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:00 am

Welcome Krylothe.

The 5 Star 2" Boka is an excellent upgrade from the T500. If Andrew hasn't already told you this, make sure you push a small amount of the copper mesh up into the coil area of the condenser to help it knock down the vapour. I found dialing down the T500 boiler power once it came up to temperature to keep it on a nice slow rolling boil really helpful too. I had my boiler modified to add a switch that allows me to turn off one of the heating elements giving me 2000W for heat up and 1200W for the rest of the run but that was before 5 Star stated offering the off-the-shelf power controllers.

My boka was an older version so things may be a little different now but I found that the product came off quite hot. I replaced the output pipe with a small liebig condenser to combat that. Might be worth considering in the future if you find the same thing happening.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:41 am

Hi Mate welcome to the forum.

The boka should give you a great start and will make some good neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Enjoy
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby andybear » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Krylothe, welcome to the site. I'm thinking you Queenslanders are a thirsty bunch as most members seem to be from there. Cheers Andy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Krylothe » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:03 pm

Professor Green wrote:Welcome Krylothe.

The 5 Star 2" Boka is an excellent upgrade from the T500. If Andrew hasn't already told you this, make sure you push a small amount of the copper mesh up into the coil area of the condenser to help it knock down the vapour. I found dialing down the T500 boiler power once it came up to temperature to keep it on a nice slow rolling boil really helpful too. I had my boiler modified to add a switch that allows me to turn off one of the heating elements giving me 2000W for heat up and 1200W for the rest of the run but that was before 5 Star stated offering the off-the-shelf power controllers.

My boka was an older version so things may be a little different now but I found that the product came off quite hot. I replaced the output pipe with a small liebig condenser to combat that. Might be worth considering in the future if you find the same thing happening.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Thanks for the advice, have done 4 runs already and quality already seems far beyond the T500. Yeah i already spoke to Andrew, got the power controller and enough copper to fill the Bokka all at the same time. Glad you mentioned the product being hot though, i had thought the product was far to hot aswell so will definitely be looking into a liebig condensor. If you have any other tips or advice I am more then willing to listen and learn.
Krylothe

equipment: Ditched the turbo 500 for a 5 Star Distilling Bokka 2"

Postby db1979 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:00 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Welcome Centre