Townsville learner pre purchase

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Townsville learner pre purchase

Postby Proofisinthe13 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for producing such a great learning resource.

I have got confused prior to making any still purchase which is probably good as I would have made some wrong decisions based on some good marketing after reading some more from here.

I think one day I would like to move to whiskey's but I think I will start with basic a neutral as that will work with the family and I also have a interest in what Australian bush tucker might be like to flavor. As I grow some of them.

obviously like most people I don't want to spend heaps to get my feet wet, will keep reading for info.

Much appreciated.
Proofisinthe13

equipment: None still learning

Re: Townsville learner pre purchase

Postby Carol » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Hi Proofisinthe13

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot to read and learn about.

I am a comparative newbie and have a FSD 2" boka and 2" pot on a 25 litre boiler. They are great quality and cost effective as the same column and boiler is used for both. At the moment I use the pot still for the stripping runs and the boka for a spirit run ( for neutral). But I can use the pot still for whisky and gin. While I might want something bigger later - this set up suits me fine now and I am sure there would be no problem in selling it on if I wanted to.

I have 3 x 25 litre fermenters and this gives me enough low wines for a spirit run. So far I am getting approximately 10 x 700ml bottles of pretty good 40% vodka from a spirit run. I have been using Teddy's Fast Fermenting Vodka for the wash which is extremely economical to make and quick to ferment.

Happy to answer any questions you might have from my limited newbie knowledge.

Talk to Andrew at 5 star about equipment and see what he can do for you. I think he has zip pay or afterpay now which might help with the budget.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Professor Green » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:26 pm

Welcome Proofisinthe13.

:text-+1: on the 5 Star 2" Boka. It's a great bit of kit, will last you a lifetime and will produce excellent neutral. Expanding that with the 2" pot still later will get you your flavoured spirits and also give you a base to build on should you want to take it to the next step with a bubbler.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby dans.brew » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:28 pm

Welcome here mate! :greetings-waveyellow:
There sure is bucket loads of info on here and the best part is you can sift through it all and use whatever part that suits your application.
It really does pay to research the types of stills out there and what they will do before picking one... who knows, you may even have the skills and ability to make the still that matches your needs.
The HBS will quickly sell you a kit whether its the best option or not.. ive found you end up with a lot of crap in them that you never use too.
Good luck with the researching. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:29 am

G'day mate welcome to the forum :greetings-waveyellow:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Proofisinthe13 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome and thoughts, much appreciated. Lots to learn.

Thanks again :-B
Proofisinthe13

equipment: None still learning

Return to Welcome Centre