Hello from Melbourne!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from Melbourne!

Postby Babawow » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Well.. Brisbane really, as I’m currently on holidays and drinking an ice cold Stella at South bank :)!

Long time lurker, used to do a bit of stilling back in Europe (originally from Central Europe) and now that me and my better half finally bought a house (Coburg/Melbourne) I got permission! I’ve of course been looking at HBS setups, as I would like something modular to also use for beer brewing, however hours upon hours of reading convinced me otherwise. I’m currently mainly interested in getting a FSD 2”Boka which I can run both as a reflux and in pot mode... I want to make whiskeys / gins / rums, as well as absolutely everything else.

What I have trouble deciding upon is if I should get a Guten 40L System (as I’d like to also get back into beer brewing) for a boiler or stick to a t500 boiler.

All input greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Babawow
Babawow

equipment: Looking to get into the hobby. Planning on using a Gutenberg 40L boiler plus a pot still attachment.

Re: Hello from Melbourne!

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:38 am

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What spirits are you intending to make?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby RC Al » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:21 am

Welcome mate

Go as large as you can for the grain brewing, you need a lot of mash to produce a small amount of product on the stilling side, 40l of AG will net you 3-4 bottles of drinkable bourbon/scotch for many hours of work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Professor Green » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Welcome Babawow.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Babawow » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I’m mainly interested in whiskys (particularly Odin’s pure whiskey method https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39091), Gins as well as Schnapps and regional European herbal concoctions / liqueurs that require high abv spirits and long maceration.

I’m not planning to start with AG distilling, the Guten setup will be used for beer mostly. However, it’s got a 2.2kWh heating element, and fits in 40 Ltrs, so think it might be a good setup, will see though, might get a turbo boiler first and then upgrade to either the Guten or the new Grainfather in a few months.... will decide mid January when I get the keys to my new place!
Babawow

equipment: Looking to get into the hobby. Planning on using a Gutenberg 40L boiler plus a pot still attachment.

Return to Welcome Centre