Hello from SA

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from SA

Postby cliffo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:11 pm

Hello!

Having brewed some beer over the last few years, I branched out and picked up a cheap barely used Euro 5 last year. That's "5" as in 5 litres, yes, but I don't care too much for producing huge quantities (yet). It has a 500 W element and a short reflux column that easily detaches to run as a pot still.

It's not ideal for producing truly neutral spirits, but running a TPW through it twice makes a decent base for gin and ouzo. My first batches of each (based on the T&P recipes) were quite popular over the Christmas period.

I'm also making whisky, from rice with a smattering of other grains "mashed" and fermented with a Chinese baijiu culture (process based on this HomeBrewTalk thread) blended with NGW. After a month on oak chips it's got good estery and oak flavours but still a little hint of tails. Hopefully that smooths out with more time, but I've put some more on oak with more conservative cuts this week.

Thanks everyone for the valuable information on this forum, and I look forward to sharing more of my results.
cliffo

equipment: Euro 5 (for now)

Re: Hello from SA

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:08 pm

Welcome to AD cliffo.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:38 pm

Welcome mate. Sounds like your off to a good start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:08 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Are you stripping first before doing a spirit run? On small boilers it helps to run low wines on a spirit run as the amount of alcohol in the boiler is larger.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Sam. » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:13 pm

Welcome here mate, sounds like your jumping in the deep end with what your doing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Welcome Centre