Thought i would say hi

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Thought i would say hi

Postby Shaun » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:29 am

Just starting out, i seen a Youtube video for distilling a sugar wash with a pot, a lid and some ice, i had a few bits laying around, bought an alcometer, hydrometre and away i went, finished up with something drinkable although i am sure nothing like you guys produce.

I just inherited an air still so thought i would give that a try with the same wash.

I haven't spent a great deal of money so far, so i plan to read a lot from here and try to see where my next step goes.

We mainly drink bourbon and scotch mixed, probably why we were able to drink what i have already produce,lol

My misses is partial to cocktails so would like to try and make a few of the things that go in to them.
All suggestions welcome.
cheers.
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Re: Thought i would say hi

Postby Maxxx » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi Shaun
Welcome, you’ve made it to the right place.
Good people and good advice here, just be sure to read lots
No such thing as a silly question - I still ask them :D
Please tell me you made cuts on that run you drank
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby Carol » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi Shaun
Welcome to forum. Lots to read about and the wise ones are very helpful.
I have an air still- although I upgraded to a 5SD 2" boka and pot recently. I have made lots of different drink recipes. What cocktails does your wife like? I might be able to help with that.
I think there is a guide to getting the best out of your air still in the Newbies section. Essentially it involves several runs - a stripping run and a spirit run . Have a read through that. While it is time consuming it makes a world of difference to the final product.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Shaun » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks, will check those guides out, no cuts were made, as i read it because i was using just sugar with no fruits there was no real cuts required, the only thing i did was stop the process when the abv was at 20%.

Since this will be the first time using the air still i will follow the recommended suggestions.
Shaun

50L Keg

Postby Wraith71 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:24 pm

G'day mate..
Good ole Air still is a good learning place to start .. get a feel for the basic's .. cleaning , fermenting an so on .. wont be long before you say .. " i think we're going to need a bigger shed!" .... ( Jaws)... .. :)) :))
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Gday mate, welcome here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
No matter which wash you use cuts are the best way to get a quality drop.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:29 am

Hi mate welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

Have a good read through the newbies corner, there is a huge amount of great info in there.

For your air still I would be looking at some of the cereal based washes like the cornflakes whiskey from the recipe section.

Best of luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby dans.brew » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:35 am

Welcome mate! :greetings-waveyellow:
Good move doing some research before you spend the cash on the wrong setup.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Shaun » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:56 am

There are so many tutorials on youtube about the air still but virtually none using some of the techniques i have seen here, i might have to start documenting my efforts so there is actually something usefull for new air still owners to see.
Shaun

50L Keg

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 am

Shaun wrote:There are so many tutorials on youtube about the air still but virtually none using some of the techniques i have seen here, i might have to start documenting my efforts so there is actually something usefull for new air still owners to see.

Yeah you tube unfortunately licenses every dickhead to make videos without review. Hence it is full of misinformation.

Welcome by the way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:29 am

Welcome Shaun :greetings-waveyellow:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Shaun » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Since i finally worked out what still i bought :) i thought i would post pics of my final setup, for now.

This is my CM Reflux Still with recirculation water cooling
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shaun

50L Keg

Return to Welcome Centre