Hi All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi All

Postby cactus_aus » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:51 am

I came across this forum a week ago and I have learned so much from the info here I had to join.

Love my Whiskey, Gin and vodka, though I wouldn't say any kind of a connoisseur. A mate taught me the basics of brewing and stilling so went and bought a cheap pot still which quickly lead to a T500.

I want to increase the quality of my product and while searching came across this forum. Since then I've started doing cuts which really increased the quality and learned a great deal more. I'm fascinated with the fermentation and stilling process. I'm all about being more self sufficient these days, going back to the basics and having a lot of fun while doing so. As just proven how fragile the supply chain is when buying essentials is driven by fear. Some people went for TP I went for yeast and dextrose =). Shortage of sanitizer, nah not here!

- I've been using this recipe for vodka which turns out quite nice: https://www.instructables.com/id/Potato-Vodka/
- For Whiskey to date I've been using the standard sugar wash with turbo yeast, and using JD smoking chips. Would like to do a batch using maize.
- Still to make a Gin yet.
- One day I may make beer.

Just yesterday I put down a TPW using a recipe from here.

Glad to be here and Cheers All!
cactus_aus

equipment: T-500 and two pot stills now used only as pots.

Re: Hi All

Postby woodduck » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi there :greetings-waveyellow: welcome aboard.

Sounds like your getting there. With the info you have access to here you'll make some nice spirits. TPW was a good move, you'll see improvements now over the turbos :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:36 pm

Welcome cactus_aus.

If you're after a cracking whiskey I can recommend starting out with one of the cereal based washes from the T&P section. CFW would probably right down your alley. I say this because working with grains/maize etc can be a bit fiddly and sometimes takes a few disheartening goes and you might need to draw on the cereal based product in the meantime.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby dans.brew » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:21 pm

Welcome cactus! :greetings-waveyellow:
BWKO in the tried and proven is another great recipe if you have access to some grains.
Another thing you could look into is getting your hands on some oak barrel staves for ageing with. You can change the flavour profile a lot by toasting, charring or leaving as is. Even different levels (ie oven temp while toasting) of each change things up.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby cactus_aus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:45 am

Thanks, I will be trying those recipes in the near future for sure!
cactus_aus

equipment: T-500 and two pot stills now used only as pots.

Postby db1979 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:56 am

Welcome to AD :greetings-waveyellow:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Welcome Centre