Hello

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Hello

Postby Professor Green » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:40 pm

I'm not sure just 500mm of packed section will achieve what you're after, you would need at least 4 plates and the packed section for neutral. If you are looking at building up to a neutraliser, you are probably better off going with the pot still first, then add the plate sections, RC and finally the packed section. This will get you making great pot stilled whisky up front, then single pass great whisky with the plates and RC followed by exceptional neutral by adding the packed section. This is how I built my neutraliser up.

As for boilers, if you have 4" still mount (or fill port) on the keg, cleaning shouldn't be any more difficult than it is for a milk can. Just remember with a keg you'll need to get the holes cut and ports welded on unless you can find one ready made second hand. Oh, and the 5 Star milk cans are sex on a stick.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby dans.brew » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:46 pm

Jayess wrote:Another question. Keg vs milk can?
I have read that milk cans can be cleaned easier with the larger opening. Any other benefits?

I just run a keg and are happy... depends how much coin you have to spend i suppose. If you have mates and the right contacts setting up a keg can work out not too bad $ wise.
One thing possibly in favour of a milk can is the bottom element i reckon would be closer to the floor of the can compared to a keg. My keg has a large curve in the top and bottom edge which doesn't allow the elements to go right down as low as possible. For large runs this isnt a problem, but if you ever want to do something on a small scale then you need to be carefull.
I don't really stick my arm in mine too often to clean... mine is a 4" ferrule, 6" or 8" would be really good.
Hope this helps. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Jayess » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks Prof and Dan
The milk cans do look good, but the kegs are definitely cheaper. Could add a plate section or 2 for the difference in $.
I love this forum, everyone is so generous sharing their knowledge.
Jayess

equipment: Looking and learning before purchase

Postby dans.brew » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:45 pm

No probs jayess... the prof is correct in saying you will need plates to get a high Abv as the packed section is just as much for removing flavours from your neutral.
After re reading your original question i didnt really read it properly and i would hate to give you the wrong advice.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby The Stig » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:01 pm

Jayess wrote: but the kegs are definitely cheaper.

If you can cut and weld yourself , this is true.
If you need to farm out the cutting and welding the difference becomes much less and a milk can looks so much better .
Just a thought that so many have said in the past.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby db1979 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:44 pm

The Stig wrote:
Jayess wrote: but the kegs are definitely cheaper.

If you can cut and weld yourself , this is true.
If you need to farm out the cutting and welding the difference becomes much less and a milk can looks so much better .
Just a thought that so many have said in the past.

:text-+1:
Cost of the keg, element ports, drain and fill port parts and welding all add up.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Jayess » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Thank you for the advice based on experience.

Professor Green wrote:Oh, and the 5 Star milk cans are sex on a stick.

The Stig wrote:
Jayess wrote: a milk can looks so much better

Am I reading between the lines correctly that the ladies love the milk can? :laughing-rolling:
Jayess

equipment: Looking and learning before purchase

Postby southern45 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:40 pm

Jayess wrote:Thanks Prof
I have been reading heaps. Sort of makes the head spin.
With the likelihood of any still I make looking like a half chewed minty, I want to buy right once. Hence I will go the modular route, with the aim being a bubbler at the end.

That's a smart move.

If I could offer one piece of advice to a newbie (and I am still pretty green myself) it's to go MODULAR! Start with a modular pot still and then if you ever fancy it (you will) upgrade over time to the full bubbler system. They're not as scary or complicated as they look. Don't cheap out at first with brew shop rubbish. Trust me, I took the loooooong way around before finally getting a 5 Star bubbler and could have saved myself a lot of cash.
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre