Joing the darkside downunder

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Joing the darkside downunder

Postby rotceh_dnih » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:04 pm

G'day all

My name is Hector i live on the mid north coast - Port Macquarie area, Been lurking over here for months now planing to get in on the fun , been brewing beer for a year now just getting into all grain and after seeing the magic of distilling on youtube i really wanted to give it a shot so i converted the pressure cooker with a 1/2' bucket worm and got my first few runs in on that, then inspired by Stillit on youtube i started a CCVM Build so i now have a 50l keg setup with a 2200w element , 2" column on the way but i have the tee,1.2m liebig and bits and bobs to run it as a pot still and have done two stripping runs so far with great success.

The goal is neutral for both drinking and use in my mobile phone repair store and in current times i have started to find it hard to source my normal 99% iso so my still build has seen a great deal more attention then i first anticipated both for necessity and its been fun so why stop now.

I am still looking into my RC but its either going to be a 1/4 double helix or a CSST setup if i can find one cheap and local at bunnings or something. Oh and i still need a drain in the bottom of the keg and would like something i can just drill a hole and bolt on like the weldless heating element i used so just a wee bit of googling to do still but im so dam close i know it'll feel great once im all setup and collecting the goods :happy-partydance: so thanks to all this place has already given me so much and its pretty much day 1 for me with so much to learn hope to cya around ;)
rotceh_dnih

equipment: 2" 1M CCVM With a 160mm copper coil/coldfinger + 1.5M liebig

Re: Joing the darkside downunder

Postby rotceh_dnih » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:12 pm

Almost forgot a photo of my still in its current state :)

20200404_183858_resize_30.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rotceh_dnih

Postby Professor Green » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Welcome to AD Hector.

Glad you've moved on from the pressure cooker set up.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby db1979 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:06 pm

Professor Green wrote:Glad you've moved on from the pressure cooker set up.

:text-+1:
Welcome.
All grain should put you a step ahead on making whiskey or bourbon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Clickeral » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:12 pm

Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby dans.brew » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:57 am

Welcome to the forum! :greetings-waveyellow:
Good luck and have fun getting all setup.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby RC Al » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:26 pm

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

I'm sure your hoses are on there just fine, but please blow a couple of $$ on some clamps, there is much to go wrong, no need to tempt fate

1" bsp is the biggest nut you can fit through a keg opening- that wont be a drama for well cleared washes, but you will have to be careful otherwise
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby rotceh_dnih » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Thanks all , forgot to update this but I'm up and running :)
My first coil wasn't the best soldering but I'm really happy with how it turned out and I'm getting 93-94% so no complaints there haha.
I still need to sure up my cooling connections but i never leave the shed when it's running or if I do have to even for a minute I turn it all off
I have played with the idea of a flow alarm but feel this would just breed complacency. Next step is wiring up a power controller :handgestures-thumbupleft:

20200430_222707_compress41.jpg

20200606_105129_compress76.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rotceh_dnih

Return to Welcome Centre