New Newb

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New Newb

Postby Ben82 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Been studying and lurking for a while, guess it's time for the intro before I start spamming newb questions. (LOL this won't happen search is your friend).

So I have ordered my setup and have decided to go with a hybrid modular still design. (CCVM)

Still build will be as follows:
Boiler - 50L Beer Keg with 4" TC, 2 x 2.4kw Elements and drain valve.
Column (Reflux) 2 x 500mm 2" stainless TC pipes, 2" Sight Tower, 2" T piece, 200mm 2" stainless TC Pipe and a 6mm copper helix coil 150-200mm.
The PC I was going to build a copper shotgun but with the price of copper I ended up going with the www.5stardistilling.com.au long 2" PC.

My main concern now is the fact that I have gone full stainless. Is the whole sulfides thing real? Will be packing the column with copper.

That will do for now I reckon, more than happy for any feedback.

Cheers!
Ben82

equipment: Nothing yet just researching to begin my journey

Re: New Newb

Postby woodduck » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:02 am

Hi mate welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Yep sulphides thing is real but you'll be fine if you put copper packing in. You don't need a lot of copper.

Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:44 am

Welcome mate, lots of photos will be required :D
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Professor Green » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:57 am

Welcome to AD.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Ben82 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:33 pm

Cheers for the welcomes!

So as it turns out I did a mischief.

Whilst still waiting for my still gear I decided to start a TPW wash. Well my excitement got the best of me during the preparation and I end up adding 5.6g of epsom salts to my 30L wash. What is the best way to correct this?

I forgot to grab a Ph meter today at my excursion to the big green shed so I figured I would add an additional 1.5tsp of citric too the wash. Fermentation has kick off pretty decently. Will check Ph tomorrow when I get a meter.

Not too fussed at this stage as this will just be a Sac run when I get the still built but pretty pissed at myself for the simple mistake.

I also possibly have a major issue with my initial SG. From what I understand so far, It should be around 1.09? How ever it seems I'm at 1.9 using the recipient, if I am understanding the scale on the hydro correct.

Overall a bit disappointed as I have put so much study and research in over the last 3 weeks. I feel I got a little excited and didn't pay enough attention to detail. Oh well on wards and up wards.
Ben82

Postby Professor Green » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 pm

Your wash will be fine mate, a bit of Epsom salt won't hurt and the yeasties will love the magnesium.

I reckon you're reading the hydrometer incorrectly - I don't think you can even dissolve enough sugar in water to reach 1.9!

The marker numbers are usually in .01s so reading down from the 1.000 line it will be 10, 20, 30 etc which translate to to 1.010, 1.020, 1.030 and so on. Going the other way up from 1.00. it will be 0.990, 0.980 etc.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Ben82 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:11 am

Thanks PG,

Learnt quite a few hobbies over my few years. This one has me enthralled at the moment, been watching lots of you tube and reading forums flat out and trying to learn as much as I can. As I have done for all the things I want to learn so far in life. Unfortunately or fortunately I live by the mantra " there is only one way to do something, the right way " but it seems like there is a bit more flexibility in this hobby.
Ben82

Postby Ben82 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:59 pm

So Today was the day.

Checked the front porch this morning to discover the rest of my parts had finally arrived.

I've had the boiler, elements and a few bits and pieces for a while. Initially I was going to have the TC ferrules weld on the boiler professionally. How ever I have wanted to learn to TIG weld for a while now and being in the position I am, my business was able to purchase a TIG welder for the experiment. Well turns out one should not learn to TIG weld half cut at 8:30pm at night. Refer to the Pic's of the removed grab rail top section and patch on the lower section. Next day I sorted my mistakes and got the rest of the welding completed with no problems.

So Today I assembled the still and ran a vinegar cleaning run, Then performed a full clean of the whole still. I had a ready to go 30L of TPW so fired it up.

So happy with the performance . Ran 2 x 2.4kw elements and unfortunately missed the first take off, column was at 22c then went to clean the fish tank for a minute came back and temp was 74c and had flow out the PC without cooling water. I immediately dropped the second element and went full flow on the PC.

Ran for a total of 2.5hrs and took off approx 4ltr of product. Being a newb I really wanted to get some practice with taking cuts so did that through the cycle. Also being a newb and having a mate who is making product through a t500 I want to see if my product didn't taste like ass. Oh my god I don't know why his shit all has the same taste but so glad I'm getting things right.

So, sick of writing for now.I have one question. I was going to go down the CCVM route but kind of can't be bothered. Can I not put a reflux condenser on top of my packed column an get the same result? Was going to build double helix reflux coil but honestly can't be assed. End of the day when I learn the ropes I will go to a 4" bubble column anyways.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben82

Postby scythe » Wed May 13, 2020 7:49 am

So you drank your sacrificial run?
I would not advise that at all...

Neither would I recommend leaving your still unattended, just imagine where you would be if there was a still fire somehow while you were not paying attention.

Your mates probably tasted the same because he was running too fast.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Wed May 13, 2020 8:01 am

:text-+1: never leave still unattended you aint boiling the kettle for a coffee :violence-stickwhack:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Wed May 13, 2020 8:03 am

:text-+1:
Also, always have your cooling water running from the time you turn on the still.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RT2Ts » Wed May 13, 2020 9:22 am

I think doing your first run would feel pretty amazing. Looking forward to that day .... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RT2Ts

equipment: 2" FSD Boka
2" FSD Potty
50ltr Milk Can Boiler

Postby Ben82 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:28 pm

RT2Ts wrote:I think doing your first run would feel pretty amazing. Looking forward to that day .... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Was so good to see it all actually happen after reading and watching so much content. There was no way in the world I was not going to at least taste some of the produce from my first run. Not going to drink it but had to at least taste it. I think some of the OG's here may have forgotten their first time.

I don't want to stir the pot too much here but I can assure you, I will not be watching every second of my distillation runs. Fair enough first run I should have been there for the first take off, honestly a little pissed I missed it. All good though, I have both a DCP and Co2 extinguisher on stand by plus I am trained in structural fire fighting. Is that good enough risk management for a boiler fire?

I do understand that we have a wealth of knowledge in this forum and respect any constructive criticism. If people actually got through to the end off my last post I would also like some feed back on my proposed change in still design.
Ben82

Postby Professor Green » Wed May 13, 2020 10:31 pm

Ben82 wrote:I don't want to stir the pot too much here but I can assure you, I will not be watching every second of my distillation runs. Fair enough first run I should have been there for the first take off, honestly a little pissed I missed it. All good though, I have both a DCP and Co2 extinguisher on stand by plus I am trained in structural fire fighting. Is that good enough risk management for a boiler fire?

Nope.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Ben82 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:43 pm

Professor Green wrote:
Ben82 wrote:I don't want to stir the pot too much here but I can assure you, I will not be watching every second of my distillation runs. Fair enough first run I should have been there for the first take off, honestly a little pissed I missed it. All good though, I have both a DCP and Co2 extinguisher on stand by plus I am trained in structural fire fighting. Is that good enough risk management for a boiler fire?

Nope.

Ok so I'm kind of struggling with this. So you sit and watch your still for every second of it's run?
Ben82

Postby Professor Green » Wed May 13, 2020 11:55 pm

Yep. If I have to leave it, I switch it off whilst I am not present.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby The Stig » Thu May 14, 2020 6:58 am

Ben82 wrote:I will not be watching every second of my distillation runs.

This is a no joke DANGEROUS game we are playing.
Its also a game of patience
If you havent got the time or the patience maybe you need a new hobby.
We just dont want to see you burn down your house/shed and hurt yourself/your friends/your loved ones.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Sam. » Thu May 14, 2020 7:15 am

The idea is to address the problem before it causes a fire and if your not there to catch it then how can you?

Better to be proactive than reactive
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluc » Thu May 14, 2020 7:44 am

Fire can literally start any second during run and go from small flame too whole shed or room engulfed in 5mins. :scared-eek: stay safe..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Tesla101 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Ben, these guys ain't kidding.

I soak little timber off-cuts in a jar of 93% fore shots so I can use them as firelighters for my wood heater.

To give you an idea of how flammable this stuff is I put one little soaked off-cut in the fireplace and stack kindling on top. I then use an old gas stove lighter that hasn't got any gas left (i.e. you can no longer get a flame from it) and pull the trigger. The wooden block will light from the tiny little spark from the lighter and then that little piece of wood will burn by itself for about 10 minutes.

My point being is this stuff is like petrol. All you need is a vapour leak or a collection jar to tip over. Add an ignition source - gas or electric boiler - and you have a very serious fire risk.

Lastly, given the restrictions on owning and operating distilling equipment in Australia, in the event of a fire you will probably find out that your insurance policy will not cover the damages.

Please, for the sake of your own safety and everyone else's, do not leave your still running unattended - even for a second. :text-thankyoublue:
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Next

Return to Welcome Centre