Gday from the apple isle

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday from the apple isle

Postby Bossplumber » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Hello everyone, I’m pretty new to the hobby I have to date put through 5 or 6 washes using a Turbo500 reflux still, I’ve just finished fermenting my first TPW and I’m just waiting for it to clear. I am looking forward to eventually been able to make my own rum and whiskey from scratch rather than just flavouring neutral as I am now. I am also very interested in still building and after building my first still a column with a Liebig condenser I have found I got a lot of enjoyment building it and as a plumber by trade I have some skills and access to materials involved.
Bossplumber

equipment: Turbo500
Home built column reflux

Re: Gday from the apple isle

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi mate
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby southern45 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:00 pm

Welcome!

The TPW should give you a decent neutral through a T500 and taking decent cuts. With your skills you'll be able to knock yourself up a decent pot still, then you can put down a few molasses rum washes for your from-scratch rum (although you'll need to age the product on oak for some time before it shines).
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Welcome Bossplumber :greetings-waveyellow:
Rum made from scratch sure beats the essence flavoured stuff.
southern45 wrote:With your skills you'll be able to knock yourself up a decent pot still, then you can put down a few molasses rum washes for your from-scratch rum (although you'll need to age the product on oak for some time before it shines).

:text-+1:
Rum def needs a bit of time on oak to come good. You need to be making stuff a year ahead of when you want to drink it. Its hard to leave it as it comes good i know, but well worth it.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Dunnonuthin » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Welcome Bossplumber. when you get around to building, if you don’t have “cough” easy access to the big copper, check out the local scrap metal places. Take cash. $8/kilo for 4” pipe is a bargain compared to new.
Start visiting as soon as you know what your gonna need, they don’t keep good lengths long before they get crushed into bails, so what you want is not always in stock on the day you need it.
I’ve done pretty well in the Hobart area out of the scrappies.
Dunnonuthin

equipment: 50L boiler
2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Return to Welcome Centre