Hi, I'm new...

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi, I'm new...

Postby EileenC » Sat May 09, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi Everyone, :greetings-waveyellow:
I'm new to the site and quite new to the process of distilling too. I have an Air Still and mainly make spirit for my own whiskey consumption (+Hubby!), and also make fruit infusions - a bit of experimentation with that, and mostly for gifts. I live in South Australia. I have only used the mainstream wash components - dextrose, Turbo yeast, etc. and not getting the clean flavour/smell that I expect. Am about to try TPW today... Let's see how it goes!
EileenC

equipment: Air still

Re: Hi, I'm new...

Postby Professor Green » Sat May 09, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi Eileen.

For your air still, I would recommend you try out one of the cereal based washes like NGW or WBAB rather than TPW. The air still won't strip out all of the flavours from the wash so you'll end up with a kind of tomato whisky. Also have you seen the thread in the pot still section on the best way to run an Air Still?

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Carol » Sat May 09, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi Eileen
I had an airstill for a long time before upgrading to a FSD 2"Boka and pot. I agree with Professor Green. The cereal based washes worked better with the airstill than the TPW. The guide on how to run an airstill (see the diagram on doing a stripping run and then a spirit run) makes a far better product even though it takes longer. When I first used the turbo yeast/dextrose package I thought it smelt (and tasted) like rocket fuel - but I did not know any better so used it anyway. The slight wheaty taste from a cereal based wash is not unpleasant and will work with whisky essences and fruit infusions. I have an easy DIY version of Baileys that is very popular with my taste testers. Happy to share the recipe if that is something you like to make.
This is a great forum. Helpful people. Lots to learn and lots of fun.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Carol » Sat May 09, 2020 5:18 pm

The other really useful thing is to keep notes - of washes, distillation and the recipes you make. It is very handy to be able to go back and look at what worked well and what was not so good.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Doubleuj » Sun May 10, 2020 6:47 am

Hi Eileen, welcome to the forum. Definitely try a wbab or ngw next :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Rumblepants » Thu May 14, 2020 11:07 pm

I'm new too. I just got an airstill off a mate and have just done my first ferment, strip and spirit run. I did the Nutrigrain wash from the Tried and Proven recipes. Its turned out quite nice with a double distill. Kind of grainy,caramelly flavour. I recommend!
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Return to Welcome Centre