Hello from Mackay

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from Mackay

Postby Woodsy » Tue May 12, 2020 3:23 pm

Hi everyone,

New guy here, hoping to learn the craft of brewing and distilling my own Rum, Whiskey and Gin.

I currently brew my own beer from grains so have a reasonable handle on that side of the equation but have absolutely zero experience in distilling. I've read quite a lot on both Facebook and now here about the art but am even more confused now that when I first started! :wtf:

I "think" that I want to build a pot still but I really don't know if this is reasonable considering what I want to make. I already have a robobrew so looking to use that as my boiler. I have had a look at Kegland's alcoengines and while the price is good, I don't know that it's as good as it sounds.

I want to be able to to produce something from "scratch" like my beer that doesn't need essences or whatnot to flavour it so that's got me leaning toward a pot still.

I do like a good old "QLD diesel" and coke or a dark and stormy with a Navy rum, but I also quite enjoy a nice sipping rum like Ron Zacapa or Pyrat. I think that's what I want to really get into. My brother likes Whiskey and my wife drinks Gin so they are the other things I'd like to be able to make.

Any advice or help you have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Woodsy
Last edited by Woodsy on Tue May 12, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodsy

equipment: Robobrew - hoping to build my own pot still

Re: Hello from Mackay

Postby Lesgold » Tue May 12, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi Woodsy.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you want to make all the good stuff. A pot is what you want if you plan to make rum and whiskey but you will need a reflux and pot still if you want to make gin. The other option would be to go all out on a plated column which would do everything for you. Have a look at the 5 Star store. There is plenty of good stuff there. If you are thinking of making your own, a pot would be a good start. Plenty of info on the site if you have a look around. Ask questions if you need help, there is plenty of friendly people here to help you.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Professor Green » Tue May 12, 2020 9:11 pm

Welcome to AD Woodsy.

A pot still will serve you well for brown spirits and the flavouring part of the gin process but you'll definitely need a reflux column for making the neutral base for the gin. If you're looking to DIY there's heaps of ideas floating around the forums. Given you want to use your robobrew boiler you'll probably want to look at the 2" pot and boka designs as I think the larger modular bubble plate type stills will be too big for it.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Doubleuj » Thu May 14, 2020 8:37 am

Gday Woodsy, welcome to the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member