Rookie from Melb

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Rookie from Melb

Postby fox » Fri May 15, 2020 9:46 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the distilling hobby and by the amount of reading I've been doing I just can't wait to start. The whole epidemic rubbish has made me think about what I would like to do to keep myself occupied. Well my scotch consumption increased so I thought lets find a way to complement this. So I stumbled over distilling. After reading up obviously I came across the commercial stills so I bought myself a Pure Distilling Reflux package. I know this produces neutrals as I am happy to flavour with essence (apologies to anyone I just offended there, please remember I'm a rookie). Unfortunately, (or fortunately as I will get to in a minute), there is a huge demand for the still so I would have to wait until the start of June before it is delivered. I couldn't help myself as I was going crazy working from home so I ventured down to the local brewery store and I got myself a fermenter and yep, apologies once again, a turbo wash. So I got it all set up and fermenting away. Then I came across this website, so I went and bought another fermenter and put down a TPW.
So now I play the waiting game. I continue to read up and educate myself. I then read all the comments on here about equipment and I start to doubt myself. Yeah i'd love to own a bubbler or the mod kit as well as the milk can boiler, but in honesty, should I just start with the commercial equipment just to see if this hobby is for me and to learn about cuts etc?
I cancelled my order so got my cash back as it was over $700. My thinking is this and this is where i'd love the help. I'm thinking of buying the 35L boiler and Reflux kit from Kegland, it will cost $320. I can then start producing neutrals and learning the craft. I will then look to purchasing the modular kit and milk can boiler in the future (hopefully I can back a few winners to pay for it) so that I can start producinf my own whisky. Thoughts?

If you lasted this long, thanks for reading. Also thanks to all who have contributed to the Newbies Corner, it's great reading. :clap: :text-thankyoublue:
fox

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux (for now anyway)
2 x 30L Fermenters

Re: Rookie from Melb

Postby Lesgold » Fri May 15, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi fox. Welcome to the forum. I did exactly what you did and found this site after my purchase. I have a whole heap of stuff that came with the kit that I don’t use. Have a look at the 5Star store. Quality gear at a good price. Consider the boka for neutral or the pot for other spirits. A 30l boiler would be a good start if you are unsure or don’t want to spend too much at this stage.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Doubleuj » Sat May 16, 2020 7:10 am

Gday fox, a lot of people started with a pure distilling or t500 type still, myself included. But most of us eventually ditch the unit for a bigger/ faster still like a bubbler.
As you’re a whiskey drinker I’d suggest you get a 4” modular pot still from FSD and mount it on a milk can or a home made keg boiler.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Carol » Sat May 16, 2020 9:16 am

Hi Fox
Welcome to the forum. Lots to learn.
I am a comparative newbie and have a FSD 2" boka and pot. Cost effective as it is modular. There is a thread on the boka. Happy ot answer any questions you might have.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby fox » Sat May 16, 2020 10:51 am

Thanks for the replies all. Carol that thread is great. Will be reading over that a few times. You have now thrown another option at me which I need to consider.

I still think I might go the AlcoEngine Reflux PD as it's cost effective and will enable me to learn and see how everything works. Then, once confident, my ambition is to make my own whiskeys so I already have my eyes on the 4" modular from FSD with the awesome looking milk can boiler.

Thanks once again and i'll continue to read all the great stuff on here.
fox

2 x 30L Fermenters

Postby Carol » Sat May 16, 2020 11:03 am

Hi Fox
Another thing that is very useful is to keep notes of all your washes, stripping runs, spirit runs etc as well as recipes. You build up a handy reference tool over time.
I have 3 x 30 litre fermenters. Three stripping runs in the pot still gives me enough low wines for a spirit run (Boka or pot depending on what I am making). While I watching the pot still in a stripping run, I clean and refill the fermenters. So my fermenters are always full and ready to go if I get some spare time when the wash is done.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Professor Green » Sat May 16, 2020 11:45 am

fox wrote:Thanks for the replies all. Carol that thread is great. Will be reading over that a few times. You have now thrown another option at me which I need to consider.

I still think I might go the AlcoEngine Reflux PD as it's cost effective and will enable me to learn and see how everything works. Then, once confident, my ambition is to make my own whiskeys so I already have my eyes on the 4" modular from FSD with the awesome looking milk can boiler.

Thanks once again and i'll continue to read all the great stuff on here.

Welcome to AD Fox.

An alternative you may not have considered is the 2" pot on the 30 litre boiler. Running one of the cereal based washes and oaking will get you a top notch whisky. Or you can still use essences for instant gratification. This pot will also work well on a 50 litre boiler and most of the parts can be re-used of you decide to upgrade later.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Last edited by Professor Green on Sat May 16, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Carol » Sat May 16, 2020 11:58 am

Fox
If you get the 2" pot on a 30 litre boiler you can add the boka later if you decide you want to make neutral for vodka or gin. Boiler and column are reused in the boka configuration.
I have a nutrigrain whisky on oak at the moment. Early days yet but tastes pretty good.

Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby fox » Wed May 20, 2020 8:45 pm

Just an update on what i'm doing. So i'm going the conservative approach. I've got the PD reflux and will run it off a simple 35l boiler. Nearly bought a milk can boiler but thought against the big outlay just for now. If I was to purchase the 4" modular pot still from FSD would it sit comfortably on the boiler or would I need to look to upgrade to a more sturdy one? Like people have said i'll probably out grow what I have quickly, but I need to start and learn the craft somewhere.

On another note i'm looking at re-circulation systems. A lot of the stuff on here is from years ago so just wondering if there is anything more efficient for someone who can't fit an ibc or has the skills to convert an airconditiong unit? I'm currently thinking of getting this pump https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-750w-clean-and-dirty-water-submersible-pump_p0133375 and hooking it up with two 240l wheelie bins. Pumping into the condenser from one bin and the warm outflow in to the other. I was going to connect the bins and was just wondering if this would be a good idea?

If there is a current thread where this is talked about please send me in the right direction. Cheers
fox

2 x 30L Fermenters

Postby Dunnonuthin » Wed May 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Welcome Fox. On the 35L boiler, you may get it to work on a 4” bubbler, but I guarantee you won’t be happy with it, many reasons. Not enough capacity. Lid doesn’t have triclamp flange, you’ll have to buy/make one. You’ll also need a 2” to 4” reducer to mate the column to the boiler. The boiler is relatively narrow and tall, 4” columns are heavy. You want a stable still that doesn’t want to topple if bumped :scared-eek: and the lid is thin gauge metal. Which means it will flex a lot with a heavy column on it. Especially if you start adding packed sections and Carter heads. The top of my keg boiler with standard 2” triclamp connection flexes if I wobble the column, I’d bet a bottle of my best a keg is far sturdier than the lid on an urn. I can’t recommend it sorry. If you get to that point, you will want a 50L keg or milk can boiler. I will say, if you get to the point of wanting a bubbler, think long and hard if the commitment is worthwhile. They can have you making a LOT of booze. :obscene-drinkingdrunk: I built mine because I like making things. Though I needed to save time on still’n. I like varied drinks too. My 2” Boka/pot combo was more than adequate for our consumption. :teasing-blah:
Check this out for recirculating cooling systems. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12788
And give the SEARCH OUR SITE button a crack. Works far better than the one at the top.
Dunnonuthin

equipment: 50L boiler
2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Postby fox » Wed May 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Awesome reply Dunnonuthin, deep down I already the knew the boiler wouldn't be up to task. I'm keeping my eyes out for somewhere that sells keg boilers as I don't trust my craftsmanship when it comes to electrical things. Oh and I like the sound of making plenty of booze :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
fox

2 x 30L Fermenters

Postby scythe » Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 am

You can still keep what you have after you buy the milkcan/keg boiler and bubbler.
But it won't get much use once you have a bubbler which is why people were pointing you towards upgradable options.

You seem to be a rare case of a newbie in that you've not expressed an interest in neutrals or gin so there was no real need for a reflux column, a pot still would have served all your stated needs.

On the upside you could probably sell your still to fund a bubbler setup if you decide flavoured neutral is not your thing.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Welcome Centre