G’day from central Qld

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G’day from central Qld

Postby Ironwoodbrad » Sat May 23, 2020 1:54 am

G’day from central Qld.
I found this site after doing a bit of research lately, I am considering getting my still out of the back recesses of the shed and using it again.
I built my still back in the mid 90’s when there was very little info available, so I had to learn to do it all largely by myself.

I used a 50 litre stainless keg, welded a flange on top with an o ring groove for the reflux column, the info I could find at the time suggested 4” by 18” high, so that’s what I went with, I put some stainless mesh and glass marbles in the bottom of the column, and a copper cooling coil in the top. There is a thermometer in the very top to monitor the temperature at the outlet to the condenser. I was using lpg to heat the boiler. And if I remember correctly, I was getting 94% spirit.
I haven’t used my still since 2003, due to a move, and change in lifestyle .

Been reading up on some of the info on here for the last week or so. Wow, there is so much more info to be had than when I was doing it.
It has me thinking whether I should change the design of my reflux column, it seems that a taller column is recommended these days. Might look at putting an electric heating element in the boiler as well.

Anyway, looking forward to learning new things.
Ironwoodbrad

equipment: Homemade reflux still with 50 litre keg boiler

Re: G’day from central Qld

Postby Doubleuj » Sat May 23, 2020 7:16 am

GdY mate, I reckon some plates and you’ve got yourself a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Chuck up some photos when you get a chance
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Sat May 23, 2020 10:32 am

Welcome to AD mate.

Sounds like you've definitely got a good foundation for a bubbler build.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Ironwoodbrad » Sat May 23, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome WJ and Prof.
I don’t understand the terminology used in a lot of the threads here, this is all new technology to me. I had to check out some threads on bubblers to see what they were.
I can see I will have to do a lot more reading and rethink how I was doing it before. Probably be asking a few questions too.
Though I was getting a very drinkable product, even though I was mostly just making high alcohol clear spirits and adding some water and flavoured cordial. I used a lot of Oak chips and experimented with burnt sugar and molasses to try and get a rum that I liked, without total success. But I was producing a more drinkable product than the bottom shelf and most middle shelf commercial stuff.
Ironwoodbrad

Postby Professor Green » Sat May 23, 2020 1:01 pm

This might help you with the terminology: http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2857 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Ironwoodbrad » Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm

Professor Green wrote:This might help you with the terminology: http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2857 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks mate. I read that about a week ago, but read it again just now and took a bit more in.
Hopefully I will come to understand what people are talking about eventually.

With the bubblers, how important is it to have the windows?
Ironwoodbrad

Postby RC Al » Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 pm

For a novice distiller with a home built rig, very important
You need to be able to see that each plate is working correctly with the initial build and then it helps massively to see what the plates are doing while you learn to drive it
People have built without glass, a small percentage of them were novices, you will get there in the end if you build with out them and you will learn to run it, it will just take a bit longer.

Have a look at using only 2" glass if cost is the factor, heck you could probably fit 2x 2" for very close to the price of a single 4"
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Ironwoodbrad » Sun May 24, 2020 11:26 am

RC Al wrote:For a novice distiller with a home built rig, very important

Cheers Al. Will put some thoughts into how I will do this.

The suns out today and it’s stopped raining, might get a chance to pull the old still out of it’s hiding spot and hose the dust off for a photo.
Ironwoodbrad

Postby Ironwoodbrad » Mon May 25, 2020 10:51 am

Pulled the old gear out of the shed this morning and took a few shots.
First time adding pics here, so not sure what size is best, I made these 800 wide, will see how they go.

First 2 show the column setup, product outlet on the left top, cooling water in on bottom right and outlet top right.
The fitting on the top is for the thermometer, will probably change this to suit a digital probe.
DSC_1354.jpg

DSC_1355.jpg

Product condenser, cooling water in at the bottom left and out the elbow on the top.
It has a couple of meters of copper pipe coiled inside for the product to run through.
DSC_1356.jpg

1/2" stainless pipe to connect the two bits, I put the bend in it and had the long run so I could put the boiler and gas burner outside,
and run the condenser inside the laundry to keep it away from the flame.
DSC_1358.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ironwoodbrad

Postby scythe » Mon May 25, 2020 12:00 pm

94% out of that thing aye, I am impressed.
What was the output rate?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Ironwoodbrad » Mon May 25, 2020 2:56 pm

scythe wrote:94% out of that thing aye, I am impressed.
What was the output rate?

Bit long ago to be remembering exactly, but I used to put two 35 litre batches through and it took me a large part of the day, can’t remember how many litres I got either.
Ironwoodbrad

Return to Welcome Centre