Greetings from Tassie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Greetings from Tassie

Postby MartinCash » Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi everyone :greetings-waveyellow:

I just joined up. I've hung out in other distilling forums on and off for a few years, so if you see the same username elsewhere it might be me.

I'm in southern Tassie and I mostly pot still rum, sometimes whiskey. I also have a VM I use for neutral. Both are my own builds. I've been distilling on and off since about 2012. Also brewing AG beer since about 1995.

At the moment I've got 60L of TFFV wash ready to strip, then reflux for neutral, and I'm planning to have a few cracks at developing a decent gin recipe. My starting point will be Odin's recipe.

Cheers,

MC
MartinCash

equipment: 50L Boiler, copper pot still, copper 100mm modular CCVM column.

Re: Greetings from Tassie

Postby Sam. » Wed May 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Welcome here mate, enjoy the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Professor Green » Wed May 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Welcome to AD mate.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby southern45 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Welcome! Getting quite a few Tassie members on here lately, must be the cooler weather.... :D
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby woodduck » Wed May 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Welcome mate, sounds like you have it well under control. Enjoy the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 pm

Welcome to AD MC :greetings-waveyellow:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby MartinCash » Wed May 27, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks everyone,

I wouldn't say I have it all under control... by a long shot. But I enjoy reading the posts and learning from the info here and elsewhere.

It's nice to have an Australian-centric forum.

MC
MartinCash

Postby Tesla101 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:45 am

Welcome MC :greetings-waveyellow:

I've just started down the gin road as well. I think Odin's easy gin is good way to learn the craft and not get too overwhelmed by too many different ingredients in your botanicals.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Dunnonuthin » Thu May 28, 2020 11:36 am

Welcome aboard! I’m starting to wonder what AD’s membership base is like state by state, on a per capita basis. Taswegians are sure signing up in numbers recently.
What molasses are you using in your rum? Happy with it?
Dunnonuthin

equipment: 50L boiler
2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Postby MartinCash » Thu May 28, 2020 12:34 pm

Dunnonuthin wrote:What molasses are you using in your rum? Happy with it?

Fremantle Stockfeeds molasses. It's what our main stockfeeds store down my way have always carried. I'm surprised to still see them there, I have a vague memory of reading that Fremantle Stockfeeds were closing down a couple of years ago.

Anyway, they seem to still carry them, I got a bucket a couple of weeks ago. $40 for a 20L bucket. I've linked to a picture of them from another post below.

I've always found that the Bundaberg Molasses are a little too expensive down here to justify the cost. As to whether I'm happy with them or not... I have really enjoyed strict hearts cuts after short aging (white), and a couple that were a little more tailsy that I aged for a couple of years. That said, I don't know whether that's because the rum was good, or because I'm used to my 'house flavour'. Since I haven't used other molasses, I can't really compare.

MC

MartinCash

Postby Dunnonuthin » Thu May 28, 2020 1:51 pm

a couple that were a little more tailsy that I aged for a couple of years.
Might be where I went wrong. Bit too tailsy, and didn’t wait two years. After 12months ageing it still wasn’t nice, so it got refluxed in a cleaning run. Used 1 bucket of Fremantle molasses doing that. It seemed nice enough, but I had fermentation issues after the second generation. I worked out it was a pH crash and got it going again, just. But between that, my cuts and impatience it was never any good. Heard the same thing about Fremantle supplier closing up, and the place I got it from only had a few small tubs of it left. Looked around and found Queensland brand molasses in buckets nearby. Bloke asked me what I wanted it for, after telling me he’d eat the stuff-never mind that stockfeed only warning. Rum I said. No worries he said, I sell about a bucket a week :laughing-rolling:
Dunnonuthin

equipment: 50L boiler
2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Postby southern45 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:52 pm

^ That's the same molasses I'e been using too.
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Return to Welcome Centre