G'day from Adelaide

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from Adelaide

Postby WhiskeySour » Wed May 27, 2020 7:29 pm

G'day everyone
I've been reading the forum for a while and finally built up the motivation (or more correctly finished off all the other jobs around the house to keep the boss happy) to start a build.
Looking forward to sharing my progress and failures, you guys seem like a pretty helpful bunch!
WS
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Re: G'day from Adelaide

Postby dans.brew » Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Welcome mate!
Good luck with your build... remember to put up lots of pics. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Wed May 27, 2020 8:58 pm

Hey mate, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

What are you thinking of building?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby WhiskeySour » Wed May 27, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks

I've managed to pick up some 2in pipe from my plumber for nothing (other than a promised bottle of goodness) so I think I'll have a crack at a pot first. He even offered to do all the soldering for me but I'd prefer to learn a few new skills myself and good to know I've got a back up plan if it goes to shit!

I've got 1 length of 2in about 1050 and another a hair over 400 so I'm thinking of using the small peice for a shotgun and keep the long bit intact for now and use as the column. Figured I can always chop the column up later if I decide to use it differently

I'm in 2 minds about either going for the simplicity of building a Liebig or just going straight to a shotgun. Don't have much soldering experience so don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Ive read the soft solder threads and watched a couple of the linked YouTube videos which makes it look a lot easier than it is no doubt

I guess the only way to find out is to start soldering
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby woodduck » Thu May 28, 2020 7:54 am

You'll be fine, its not that hard, trial and error.

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Dunnonuthin » Thu May 28, 2020 8:55 am

Welcome to the hobby! Your user name suggests your a bourbon drinker? But do you have a need for nuetral in your house?
You have many options with your 2”. The two lengths are about perfect for a Boka. I’d say make the pot still first, you can fiddle with the Boka head while doing runs in the shed. As you said, make the long length your pot. Easy easy flanges (they are a thing) on both ends. Then another easy flange on a couple of reducers down to 1/2”, a 90degree union and a Liebig condenser and your in business! Make the Boka so it uses the same Liebig, pack the column with scrubbers and run slow you can produce great neutral.
It’s pretty close to what I started with. Was very happy with the results.
Dunnonuthin

equipment: 50L boiler
2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Postby WhiskeySour » Thu May 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Thanks Dunno
Yes mainly a bourbon drinker hence the pot, however there is always a need for gin as well so was thinking the option of Boka or ccvm as part 2.
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby WhiskeySour » Sun May 31, 2020 8:10 pm

So I'm going to go with a Liebig for this build, will be 3/4 over 1/2 which seems to be the standard. I went to the green shed today to get everything but came home missing a few things which in hindsight I should have worked out before I went.

A couple of questions;

1. For the tee at each end of the water jacket, what size should the water inlet/outlet be - 3/4" or 1/2"? Ie do I need a 3/4-1/2-1/2 or 3/4-1/2-3/4 tee?

2. And what fitting do I need on the water inlet/outlet? I was hoping they would have something in brass that could convert to a hose barb or something similar but couldn't find anything

I'm sure I've read this somewhere on here already but can't seem to find the right answer, apologies for questions that have probably been asked 1000 times
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby Lesgold » Sun May 31, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi whiskeysour welcome to the mad house. I think you’ll enjoy the ride. The learning starts now and never stops. That’s the beauty of this hobby. Onto your questions. 1/2” will be fine for the water in/ out. That will provide all the water you will need to keep things cool. If you want a simple solution for connectors, go for a brass snap hose connector. Costs about $6 or $7 dollars at the big green shed. Cut it in half and you have two snap fittings to solder into the tee. (It may need just a bit of filing to get it to fit.)
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby WhiskeySour » Sun May 31, 2020 9:02 pm

Thanks Lesgold, as I read your response I remembered reading that in a thread somewhere!! There is so much good info here, it is hard to keep up

Will have to do another trip during the week, hoping to get building on the weekend
Last edited by WhiskeySour on Sun May 31, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby Lesgold » Sun May 31, 2020 9:21 pm

If you want a good project to get your soldering skills up to speed, try building a parrot. Doesn’t use much in the way of materials and it allows you to get a feel for the torch that you are using, fluxes, heat etc. By the time you get that made, you will be ready to build anything. I would tend to go for a shotty build rather than a Liebig. It’s pretty simple if you have a handle on soldering. Easy flanges have that name for a reason. They are cheap, effective method for joining modular components. If you build a shotty, it could be used later on when you decide to upgrade. In saying that, a Liebig doesn’t use much material and only takes about half an hour to make.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby WhiskeySour » Sun May 31, 2020 10:10 pm

Yea I thought I'd go with Liebig to get a still up and running, but I'll make the pot modular so I can change the condenser if I do go shotgun later

Thanks for tip on building a parrot
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby WhiskeySour » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:33 pm

Finally got around to making a start today

20200606_135835.jpg

20200606_160529.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby WhiskeySour » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Ended up with something that hopefully resembles a Liebig. Plugged it in to the tap and no leaks, which even surprised me. I snapped a pic but it seems the file size is too large to attach (4mb)
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby WhiskeySour » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:13 pm

Here it is, managed to shrink the file
Cleaned up ok with a bit of filing
Thanks Lesgold for the tip on the snap fitting, worked a treat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby dans.brew » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:19 pm

WhiskeySour wrote:Ended up with something that hopefully resembles a Liebig. Plugged it in to the tap and no leaks, which even surprised me. I snapped a pic but it seems the file size is too large to attach (4mb)

Good stuff mate!
I always seem to have pics too big in size to upload too... recently i came up with a solution to this problem. I take most on my phone as i go. Open them up in the gallery and have them on the screen how you want them and simply take a screen shot.
They go from 2-3 mb down to under 1 mb usually.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby WhiskeySour » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:26 pm

Ah yes of course, didn't think of that (I txt then to myself as they auto shrink)
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby Lesgold » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Well done WiskeySour. Some good soldering there. Should be ready to move on to something a bit more complex. There are plenty of resizing apps available to keep pics down to a reasonable size. Some are free too if you don’t mind the odd advert. I use this one on the iPad.
596D6C7C-595E-4B92-B32F-ABF33BA5D7C9.png
Lesgold

Return to Welcome Centre