Vinegar/Sac runs on T500

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Vinegar/Sac runs on T500

Postby Jewelz » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:50 pm

Hi all,
Long time reader but first time posting.
Had a T500 for years and finally took a look inside with the torch and noticed the copper coil was all black so I figured it was time for a cleanup. I cleaned the copper saddles with vinegar & salt and the stainless packing in the dishwasher (and a few rinses to be safe).
I soaked the column in Citric acid and water and the coil came out fairly clean.
Now I was going to do a vinegar run followed by a sacrificial run but I'm worried that the temperature of the vinegar steam would be bad for the plastic at the top of the column.
I realise that I could run enough cooling water to prevent the steam reaching the top, but then it wouldn't be cleaning the whole still. I read a post last night where someone had the cooling water at 60C or so and no vinegar made it to the output.
What I really want to know is if a vinegar run is even necessary given that the still isn't new. Can I just do a sacrificial run with some old heads/tails?
Or if a vinegar run is necessary, what's the best way to do it considering the plastic and leaking issues after T500's overheat?
Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it in the forum.
Last edited by Jewelz on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jewelz

equipment: T500 & Still Spirits Pot Still

Re: Vinegar/Sac runs on T500

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:35 am

Hi Jewelz, welcome to the forum.
I moved your post to the welcome centre as it was your first. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I think because you’ve soaked the column and cleaned the saddles that a vinegar run won’t be necessary, the sac run will flush out anything that’s left.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Tesla101 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:49 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Hi Jewelz, welcome to the forum.
I moved your post to the welcome centre as it was your first. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I think because you’ve soaked the column and cleaned the saddles that a vinegar run won’t be necessary, the sac run will flush out anything that’s left.

:text-+1:

I wouldn't risk a vinegar run either, mine leaked like a sieve after that :angry-banghead:
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Jewelz » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Thanks guys,
Did vinegar and a sac run on the pot still, then just a sac run on the T500. So much quicker when it's only 1/3rd full and already hot from the pot still run!
Am I supposed to rinse it with water after the Sac run (or normal spirit runs for that matter) or is it better to leave it with alcohol in the still when I put it away. I've always rinsed it in the past, but now I'm wondering if leaving it wet would cause mold or other nasties to grow between runs?
Jewelz

equipment: T500 & Still Spirits Pot Still

Postby Tesla101 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:16 am

I usually give my alembic pot head a scrub and a rinse after I've done my 4 stripping runs, mainly because I don't want any TPW flavours in my gin runs later on.

For the T500 column, I only ever run stripped washes through it for a spirit run so it should be pretty clean. I can't remember the last time I gave it a rinse or a citric bath.

I can't imagine it would stay wet inside, as it's so hot by the end of a run it would dry itself out anyway.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Return to Welcome Centre