Yet another Victorian

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Yet another Victorian

Postby EternalApprentice » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Hi all,

Been digesting the information from this site ( i stumbled upon from homedistiller forums in an attempt to find something a little more local).
have been through the newbies section, once or thrice :))
Still (pardon the pun) diluting the information overload,

A bit of background info,
I started with an SS Airstill some 10 - 15 years ago to help reduce the costs down for the monthly liquor bill,
and apart from knowing nothing except from the LHBS Rhetoric did nothing but Turbo's for the better part of 10 years,
Single distills, chuck the foreshots, keep everything else, no cuts, dilute to 40%, carbon filter everything, bottle, LHBS flavour, leave for a week, and consume.
had the harsh almost nail polish nose for the first glass or two but was "drinkable" and at the price was considered acceptable tradeoff.

until this point, not a hobby, just a means to an end, was cheaper for end product than store bought, was fat dumb and happy at that.

fast forward to two weeks ago, bought my t500 reflux,

wanting something cleaner, figured 60% from an airstill has 40% carryover, watered down to 40% still has 40% carryover (albeit watered down), 90 - 95% from a reflux only has 5 - 10% carryover and so _must_ be cleaner, cleaner = better ... so profit ?

whole kit, 6kg turbo wash included.
cleaned, water run, and sacrificial run, currently have the last turbo 8kg wash settling, about a week ago i found this site.

i have a TPW on day 4 now and as of last night was reading 1.022 on the hydrometer, and expecting amazing things from all the hype i've read here and on vids i've been hooked into since actually researching this hobby.

now i'm starting to look at cuts, and pot heads, and IBC 1000L container for cooling water recirc, pump, 100L fermenting bins, Gallon Flagons for storage, Feints Collection Jar,
and so on and so forth... (how far does this rabbit hole go ? .... it just keeps going .... )

Looking at doing the ABWBW next as from what i see it has a creamier feel on the tounge.

I now just need to get my production above my consumption level so i can let this age appropriately and get a full appreciation out of it.

Anyway,

Hi Gents and Ladies,
Glad to have found you finally!
EternalApprentice

equipment: SS 4L Aircooled "Still"
SS Mangrove Jack's T500 Boiler + Stainless Reflux Head

Re: Yet another Victorian

Postby RC Al » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:54 pm

Welcome mate

The rabbit hole never ends, there's always a different recipe or a different way to make things and always another piece of equipment you didnt know you needed :teasing-tease:

Sounds like your doing a goodly amount of research :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Be careful with the you tube vids, theres some misinformation (some more than others) in pretty much all of the current "producers" of that content
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby dans.brew » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:48 pm

Welcome mate!
Glad to see you are seeking the answers to the question "how do i make better spirits" because there surely is a whole better way than turbos.... and its easier than a lot of people think.
You've come to the right place for the answers to that question. Good luck.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by dans.brew on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:00 pm

Welcome to AD mate.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby ed9362 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:31 pm

i have been distilling for 4 years now and i still am trying to work out cuts and oaking.

following a recepie for a wash is easy but getting the cuts right and knowing when things are aged and oaked well is a real slow learning curve.

when you get it right, its very rewarding
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby dans.brew » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:48 pm

ed9362 wrote:i have been distilling for 4 years now and i still am trying to work out cuts and oaking.

when you get it right, its very rewarding

Trial and error... and lots of it!
The more you do the more you dial in the tastebuds, with the exception of a few head scratching moments. :laughing-rolling:
At the end of it all though the reward is :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby atzlee » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:52 pm

Hello, it is a pleasure and a pleasure for me to be able to be here sharing and discussing with you about this distillation, I personally am new, a client to whom I did a little SEO work as part of the payment a small still and I have no idea how to use it, once I tried to do it and I did not get a result as good as I expected, maybe you here who have much more experience can help me use it in a better way
atzlee

equipment: distillers

Postby Sam. » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:30 pm

atzlee wrote:Hello, it is a pleasure and a pleasure for me to be able to be here sharing and discussing with you about this distillation, I personally am new, a client to whom I did a little SEO work as part of the payment a small still and I have no idea how to use it, once I tried to do it and I did not get a result as good as I expected, maybe you here who have much more experience can help me use it in a better way

Don't worry everyone, every now and then one spamming fuck makes it through the tight net, he be gone now :violence-smack: :teasing-nutkick: :law-policered:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby andybear » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:21 am

Welcome apprentice, good to see another Mexican join the club. You can definitely make some quality booze if you follow the info from this site.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby M8Harry » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Welcome to the forum :greetings-waveyellow:
M8Harry

equipment: Pure distilling Reflux Still with a 25L boiler

5 star mk2 visualiser and 50L milk can boiler

Postby Wellsy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:18 pm

Welcome aboard mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre