Beginner in Central West NSW

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Beginner in Central West NSW

Postby mathewf » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:50 pm

Hi all, after a long time reading, building and first couple of runs I figured it was time to say hello.

I'd grown a bit tired of brewing and having thought about building a still for years. Recently found myself with a bit of time on my hands...

I've built myself a 2" modular pot still with a shotgun pc. I've done 5 gens of a ujssm that I sort of turned into a rum by including molasses in the recipe (tastes great imo).
Now I've got 2 fermenters of TPW which I've almost finished building a Boka head for and looking to make some neutral for a flavoured vodka and gin.

Shotgun was the worst part to make, had 5x.5" with a tiny leak that didn't manifest until the sac run. Tried to repair it twice and after some frustration I cut the ends off and went with 4x.5" :angry-banghead:

Tempted to look into a bubble plate setup but I'm rapidly running out of room to store product as it is.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mathewf

equipment: 2" modular pot + wip Boka. 50L keg

Re: Beginner in Central West NSW

Postby Lesgold » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:05 am

Hi Mat. Welcome to the forum. Looks like your well on the way to making some good stuff. I like that pot still design. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:16 am

Gday Matthew, welcome to the forum. I’d be happy to store your product for you mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: just got to warn you that the angels share up here in Qld is pretty high so you might not get much back :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby mathewf » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:31 am

Lesgold wrote:Hi Mat. Welcome to the forum. Looks like your well on the way to making some good stuff. I like that pot still design. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
I took inspiration from a kiwi youtubers design. Modular as a way of future proofing and insurance for when I inevitably drop and bend part of it. :-D

Doubleuj wrote:Gday Matthew, welcome to the forum. I’d be happy to store your product for you mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: just got to warn you that the angels share up here in Qld is pretty high so you might not get much back :laughing-rolling:

Have had a few similar offers already! I'm starting to think those rumours of going blind were started by the distillers themselves. :))
mathewf

equipment: 2" modular pot + wip Boka. 50L keg

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:50 pm

Welcome to AD Mathew.

That's a nice build mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bubblers are great but there's been plenty of top notch hooch made with a humble pot still. If your pot (and boka when it's done) are working to your satisfaction and you're happy with the speed of of production vs the speed of consumption then there's no real need to upgrade. On the other hand, if you're as handy with the tools as you seem to be and the bug bites you hard (which it is prone to do) then I can see you with a bubbler in no time. There's no shortage of inspirational builds floating around the forum BTW and we'll need a build thread of course!

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre