Hello from Central Vic

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from Central Vic

Postby Wellsy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Hi guys
New to distilling and looking to try and brew some drinkable whiskey. Ideally irish style hence the “e” in the spelling. I have not made a purchase yet. I was looking at the air still due to the price and no water needed but a trip to the home brew shop has me looking at the Australian equivalent of the T500 now made in Tassie. From what I have read I will eventually need a pot still but the T500 looks like a good one to learn on, happy to be advised differently.
Thanks for sharing all your hard earnt Knowledge, it already looks like i will be putting the turbo pack that comes with the kit straight in to the cupboard.
Any advIce or options would be greatly appreciated
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: Hello from Central Vic

Postby Professor Green » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Welcome Wellsy.

Have a look at the 2" pot still from 5 Star, it fits on top of a T500 style boiler (5 Star also sell such a boiler). It is a little bit more expensive but will serve you much better than anything you can buy from a home brew shop. Add a voltage controller and you'll be on your way to making some top notch whiskey. Alternatively if you're handy with tools, you could knock yourself up a good pot still from 2" copper pipe; there's heaps of examples in the pot till section.

The Weetbix Allbran wash in the Tried and proven section makes a good base for Irish whiskey.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Wellsy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:33 pm

Thanks Professor
I looked at the 5 Star Store but could only see what looked like a commercial still. I told the missus that is what I was looking at and was told I did not need to drink anything as I was already silly enough. I better go back to their site and have a second look
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Professor Green » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Carol » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi Wellsy

I am a comparative newbie and have the 5 star 2" boka and pot. They are both great quality. There is a thread on my boka and I think there are photos of the pot towards the end. Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Wellsy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Thanks mate
That actually works out a little bit cheaper so leaves a little for a couple of fermenters and possibly a water flow control unit if one was needed. I might need to give Andrew a call :)
I am only looking at whiskey, and bourbon. This option looks a lot better but it will leave me with the delema of what to do with all the spare space I won’t be taking up with crap I don’t need lol.
First day on the site and it looks like I have avoided an unnecessary purchase and been pointed to exactly what I need :)
Really appreciate your guidance professor.
Wellsy

Postby Tesla101 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Carol wrote:Hi Wellsy

I am a comparative newbie and have the 5 star 2" boka and pot. They are both great quality. There is a thread on my boka and I think there are photos of the pot towards the end. Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Cheers
Carol

:text-+1:

If was starting again, this is what I would get.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Wellsy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Thanks Carol
I will see if I can find your post.
I can’t believe how close I was to buying the air still. It might be a good little unit but the more I read it was never going to do what I wanted it to do.
I still don’t know how I stumbled onto this site, that is one thing I can thank covid for lol
So pleased I did
Wellsy

Postby Carol » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:54 am

Hi Wellsy
It is a thread about the FSD 2"boka in reflux stills. Towards the end there are pictures of the set up as a boka and a pot. I have an air still (from a decade ago) and you would certainly find it slow going!
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:04 am

Hi Wellsy, welcome to the forum. Good on you for researching so much :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Carol » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:14 am

Photos of the pot still setup.

Natasha1.jpg

Natasha2.jpg

Natasha3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:59 am

Thanks Doubleuj

The more you read and U Tube the more questions get raised :). I guess in some ways I am lucky in that I know what I want to achieve so I can concentrate on those posts. I am also lucky to be able to access the internet and you guys. I have no idea where I would start if I could only access a library, I would probably just buy it and dream of making my own nectar :)

Thanks Carol, love the set up. Not sure about the lead in the pool lol. Looks like the price of the still just went through the roof if I need that sized cooling system lol. The still certainly looks far solider than the home brew shop options.
Wellsy

Postby Carol » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi Wellsy
Natasha is a very solid rig and will certainly see me out!
Currently submersible pump is in the pool because I can! We are moving house (eventually) and pump will probably in the bathtub or a wheelie bin instead.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:14 pm

I assumed it was your cooling system Carol
After reading about fractions and cuts I realised it might be your feints storage area :)
Wellsy

Postby Wellsy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks everyone for your help support and suggestions. The final decision has been made and I have just ordered a fsd 4” pot on a 50 litre boiler. I believe I have been extremely lucky to get such amazing advice from everyone before my purchase. I look forward to learning enough to be able to return the favour to another newbie as they start this amazing journey
Wellsy

Postby dans.brew » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:14 pm

Wellsy wrote:Thanks everyone for your help support and suggestions. The final decision has been made and I have just ordered a fsd 4” pot on a 50 litre boiler.

Welcome wellsy! :greetings-waveyellow:
Got a mate with a mod pot from 5 star and its a beauty. You've chosen well mate... have fun playing when she arrives.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:39 pm

I just ordered it tonight and am still to sort out the payment but already want to know how many sleeps until it arrives lol.
This is as bad as waiting for Santa to arrive lol
Wellsy

Postby dans.brew » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:27 pm

Wellsy wrote:I just ordered it tonight and am still to sort out the payment but already want to know how many sleeps until it arrives lol.
This is as bad as waiting for Santa to arrive lol

When your laying in bed and your head wont stop spinnin about everything stillin, dont think its just you as we've all been there. When i was building my bubbler i had problems getting to sleep some nights :laughing-rolling:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:08 am

It is certainly going to be a long 10 days or so waiting for delivery if last night is anything to go by.
9:30 - 12:30 sleep
12:30 - 5:00 am, wondering if the still will fit in the new cupboard, will the hose from the water tank be to long to provide adequate pressure, oh I wonder what the ph is of our rain water compared to tap water. Is that big pot in the laundry stainless steel or aluminium, what will I use to get the drops to taste test all the jars,will I be able to taste the difference between heads and heart , I assumed I new what wet cardboard tasted like. If I get a wash on Saturday will I be able to store it until the still arrives. Who has nutri grain on special. I won’t even go into the number of shops I visualised looking for large glass jars.
OMFG !!!!!
I need some of the produce to help me sleep,this is a vicious cycle I am on lol
Wellsy

Postby crow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:39 am

G'day wellsy, if central Vic is the Ballarat district here's a welcome from one of us :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Next

Return to Welcome Centre