Howdy yall

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy yall

Postby FilthyPhil » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:47 pm

Howdy yall, :greetings-waveyellow:
I ain't never done it before but I'm a thinkin I need to get me a pot still to make some bourbon.
Any help from you fine folk would be muchly appreciated ^:)^
FilthyPhil

equipment: I have built a 50l keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements & a 2" copper pot still with shotgun condenser.

Re: Howdy yall

Postby bluc » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:57 pm

Your on the right track with a pot still. Have a talk to andrew. Start off with the guide to cuts in beginers section and check out bwko in tried and proven. I would also recomend checking out angel yeast. Have a read of the "mash not requiered" thread.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:19 pm

Welcome Filthy
Like you I am a complete beginner, I have just put down my first bourbon whiskey knock off wash.
Andrew will put you on the right path with some very basic straight forward advice.
I believe you are well ahead of the pack by knowing what you want to produce.
Enjoy the ride mate the. Ore you look the more questions you will ask but everyone here is more than happy to share their experiences
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby dans.brew » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Welcome aboard mate!
Definately have a gander through the newbies corner and pots still section.
Enjoy the ride. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:56 pm

Welcome to AD Filthy.

Here's a few things to think about:
  • How much booze you actually want to make.
  • How much time you have run your still.
  • How much room you have to run your still.
  • How much you want to spend.

Some off-the shelf options for you:
A 25 litre boiler with a 2" pot still is great starter kit if you're not keen on committing to a larger set up. If you decide you want make neutral later (for vodka or maybe gin) you can add a 2" boka and you're set. You can check these out here:
5 Star 2" Pot Still
25 Lire Boiler
2" Boka"

A step up from that would be a 50 litre boiler with a 4" pot still. Difference between the previous option is that it can make more booze faster. If you decide you want make neutral later you can add extra parts to the existing ones (plates, packed section and reflux condenser) to create column still. Check out the 5 Star Pot Still
4" Pot Still
50 Litre Boiler

The top of the line would be a 4" modular column that you can reconfigure to suit almost any spirit. This can be run on a 50 or 100 litre boiler.
Neutraizer

Something else to consider; if you're at all handy with tools, you could easily DIY up a good pot still. There's plenty of examples in the Pot Still section of the forum.

Don't forget to factor the sundry items into your budget (Fermenters, alcometers, voltage controller etc)

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby FilthyPhil » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:16 pm

Professor Green wrote:Welcome to AD Filthy.

Here's a few things to think about:
  • How much booze you actually want to make.
  • How much time you have run your still.
  • How much room you have to run your still.
  • How much you want to spend.

Some off-the shelf options for you:
A 25 litre boiler with a 2" pot still is great starter kit if you're not keen on committing to a larger set up. If you decide you want make neutral later (for vodka or maybe gin) you can add a 2" boka and you're set. You can check these out here:
5 Star 2" Pot Still
25 Lire Boiler
2" Boka"

A step up from that would be a 50 litre boiler with a 4" pot still. Difference between the previous option is that it can make more booze faster. If you decide you want make neutral later you can add extra parts to the existing ones (plates, packed section and reflux condenser) to create column still. Check out the 5 Star Pot Still
4" Pot Still
50 Litre Boiler

The top of the line would be a 4" modular column that you can reconfigure to suit almost any spirit. This can be run on a 50 or 100 litre boiler.
Neutraizer

Something else to consider; if you're at all handy with tools, you could easily DIY up a good pot still. There's plenty of examples in the Pot Still section of the forum.

Don't forget to factor the sundry items into your budget (Fermenters, alcometers, voltage controller etc)

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

So the 2" Boka that's for sale on here at the moment is no good for making bourbon unless I put flavouring in it afterward?
I'd really like to try UJSSM & CFW.
FilthyPhil

equipment: I have built a 50l keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements & a 2" copper pot still with shotgun condenser.

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:37 pm

If you put the 2” pot head on it , it’ll make good bourbon etc
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:44 pm

:text-+1: on what Stig said although, if you're only looking to make UJSSM & CFW, then going straight for the 2" Pot from 5 Star might be better option for you. All depends on whether you're likely to want neutral as well.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:56 pm

:text-+1:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy