Howdy!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy!

Postby Prime » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi all,
Brand new to this hobby and looking forward to enjoying the spoils!

Based in Redcliffe, SE QLD, we (my wife and I) are planning on starting the big lap in 12 months time, and it occurred to us that it might be fun to make our own booze whilst travelling. Now I know some of you are all geared up with sophisticated distilling equipment, but I've opted for an AirStill for simplicity, portability, and compactness.

I bought it last week and put down my first wash within 30mins of getting it home. It's been bubbling away quite nicely and hopefully on the week-end she'll be ready for the next steps ... distilling, diluting, filtering, flavouring, & bottling!

I've already learnt heaps and hope (through learning from the masters) that I can get to a suitable level of competency for when we're on the road.

Cheers

Luke
Prime

equipment: Air Still just acquired (17.10.2020) ... Planning the big lap so portability is essential.

Re: Howdy!

Postby woodduck » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:25 pm

Welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

Im jealous of your future trip!

Have a good read around here to understand the air still a little more, its not quite as easy as the brew shop make it sound... For one thing its a pot still not a reflux still so its no good for making "neutral " for flavouring with essence, it will have some undesirable flavours left in it. You would be better making "brown" spirits like whisky and rum with it. I personally would throw away the turbo yeast, filter and any other plastic junk they gave you and read up on cuts and a couple of other recipes here in the tried and proven because with a good wash and cuts you won't need any of that expensive rubbish.

I understand this is probably a lot to get your head around straight up but if your after alcohol that is nice to drink you need to spend a bit of time here reading and asking questions. That way you will be a happy stiller the whole way round Australia.

Good luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Prime » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome ...

Yes, we're really looking forward to our big adventure ... beaut part is ... no time frame ... so if we're having fun, we wont come home!

I've only just put down my first wash last saturday so I will be learning all the way. I expect that my first efforts will be passable, but I'm open to learn how to do it better (within the constraints of doing this in a caravan in future)!
I'm treating the next 12 months (before we head off) as a learning experience and will experiment after this first batch with alternatives that promise to produce a better product ... heaps of reading and learning to be done!

Cheers
Prime

equipment: Air Still just acquired (17.10.2020) ... Planning the big lap so portability is essential.

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I knew a guy who lived in a van and used an air still.
Sorry to say he dropped dead and nobody found home for about 4 days and that was in a van park 10 mins away.
Very sad when Mad Mick passed on, lovely fellow
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:47 am

Welcome Prime
Like you I have a pot still, have a read of the topics in the newbie section mate lots of good explanations so it all starts to click into place. I should say some starts to click into place as I don’t think anybody every gets it all :). Luckily for us there are some on here were most has clicked into place.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Prime » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:24 am

The Stig wrote:Welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I knew a guy who lived in a van and used an air still.
Sorry to say he dropped dead and nobody found home for about 4 days and that was in a van park 10 mins away.
Very sad when Mad Mick passed on, lovely fellow

Thanks for the welcome ...
Sad about Mad Mick ... I hope his passing wasn't due to the quality of his product!

If he's Mad Mick, that would make me Lucky Luke! :smile:
Prime

Postby Prime » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:28 am

Wellsy wrote:Welcome Prime
Like you I have a pot still

Yes, I've already ventured into the "must read" sections.

My aim is to keep it simple, but at the same time I want to reliably product good product. So my early research will revolve around those goals.

Cheers
Luke
Prime

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:25 am

Prime wrote: I hope his passing wasn't due to the quality of his product!

Not at all, just his time I guess :shifty:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:44 pm

I would recommend the BWKO as a starter for the Pot Still mate.
The biggest advantage it has is that it ferments out very quickly, and all us newbies are very impatient. use the generations mate to get the depth of flavour.
was my first venture and it did not go wrong so it is simple to follow :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre