The Bastard Grant origin story..

Say Hi and introduce yourself

The Bastard Grant origin story..

Postby TheBastardGrant » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Hello!
I'm The Bastard Grant.
Literally...

My mother was born into the Grant's Whisky Empire. I'm a direct descendant of William Grant, and named after his son.
Each generation there's been one of us, and we are handed down a ink writing set and fob watch that Willy gave to Pete to prove it.

Unfortunately, my grandmother thought an affair while her husband was fighting in WW2 was a good idea... She shacked up with a pianist. Upon his first return from war, her husband discovered he was a father. Miraculously...

They divorced and my grandmother was expelled from the Grant clan and moved to London with the pianist. They then took over the London zoo and the London ambulance service.

My mother discovered an older brother a couple of years ago. He was the first bastard grant. Ha!

I moved to Australia in the 80s at aged 10.

Fast forward 37 years.
I drink whisky.
I thought I should make my own, given my pedigree, and came up with a recipe. I wasn't surprised to find it was rather similar to Grants. Epigenetics!

I'm going to learn the craft and develop a Canberra whisky.

But to start learning, I've set up a t500 copper reflux (only because the douche on ebay who'd sold me an alembic screwed me).

I'm trying a tpw first, but I have bigger aims...
Im here for advice and comradeship, and a shoulder to cry on :D

I look forward to sharing your adventures and recipes, and adding where I can.

Cheers,
Pete
TheBastardGrant

equipment: T500 copper reflux

Re: The Bastard Grant origin story..

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Pete :handgestures-thumbupleft:

We all have to start somewhere and with Whisky in your veins thru family :laughing-rolling: I'm sure you will pickup everything you need to know on this forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now a T-500 is an entry level still and for learning well it is a start, now if you want to make brown spirits then strip all the packing out and set it up as a pot still. Strip every wash to get low wines then when you have enough do a nice slow spirit run.

Have a good read of the tried and true forum as well as the recipe forum for idea's and read, read, read I did I say read :laughing-rolling:

Most of all mate do your research and have fun learning. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:13 pm

Welcome Pete

Just to demonstrate you are not the only bastard and to make you feel welcome I have to ask the obvious question.

Did you say grandma shacked up with a penis or a pianist :laughing-rolling:

Sorry these old ears dont hear so good. I hope you take that in the vein it was meant mate or i could end up looking for a new forum.

You will need to get back into the pot stills at some stage mate to get some good whiskey. Give Andrew at 5 star a call and he will look after you with some great advice and seriously good product
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4ā€ Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Yonder » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Welcome from a visiting sojourner. May not be a bastard son myself but Iā€™m a student of the art and many have called me a sonofabitch. :-D
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby TheBastardGrant » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 am

Wellsy wrote:Welcome Pete

Just to demonstrate you are not the only bastard and to make you feel welcome I have to ask the obvious question.

Did you say grandma shacked up with a penis or a pianist :laughing-rolling:

Sorry these old ears dont hear so good. I hope you take that in the vein it was meant mate or i could end up looking for a new forum.

You will need to get back into the pot stills at some stage mate to get some good whiskey. Give Andrew at 5 star a call and he will look after you with some great advice and seriously good product

Well, the pianist did tempt her with his penis, so both.
And cheers to you all. Thanks for the welcome!
Last edited by TheBastardGrant on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBastardGrant

equipment: T500 copper reflux

Return to Welcome Centre