G'day - double distilling a TPW

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day - double distilling a TPW

Postby Oki » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:32 pm

Hello, being a Newbie here, I am not sure if I am in the right place to post this but I have a question ?
I have a 30L copper still, and I double strip TPW and I was thinking of buying a stainless steel still as when I use the copper still the spirits have a funny after taste which is not good for Gin.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
Oki

equipment: Reflux Still

Re: double distilling a TPW

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:40 pm

How often do you use the copper still because copper will get corrosion on it and the longer you leave between runs may need a cleaning run .
wynnum1

Postby Oki » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi Wynnum 1
I have just started brewing again and have made approx 6 brews from memory. I have had the still for 6 years and have never cleaned it. The guy at the Brew Shop at Torrensville (not sure where you are located) mentioned that maybe I should look at getting a stainless steel one to stop the after taste that I seem to be getting. I do not know how to do a cleaning run, would you be so kind as to tell me what I have to do please.
So would there be any advantage in purchasing a stainless steel still ? I would love to hear your advice please.
Many thanks
Oki
Oki

Postby BradM » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:19 pm

Put a mix of half water and half white vinegar in the pot and clean every part in it. Then assemble the still and run it without the condensor - you want hot vinegar vapour to get in everywhere.
After it has been boiling for 5-10 minutes, turn it off and let the parts cool. Dump the vinegar mix and clean everything with cool water.
BradM

equipment: Pure Distilling boka. 1st edition.

Re: G'day - double distilling a TPW

Postby Sam. » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:10 pm

G'day mate, I have split these posts off and made your very own welcome thread, so welcome!!

I would suggest having a good read through here before changing your stills.

Basically every still needs some for of copper in it to remove oxides. If you follow old mates advice at the brew shop and have zero copper your distillate will smell like rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide).

I would be giving it a good clean as suggested like this :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: G'day - double distilling a TPW

Postby Oki » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:55 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll Run a cleaning wash through the still and see how i go
Thanks again you may have saved me a few DOLLARS
Oki
Oki

Return to Welcome Centre