Intro.....

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Intro.....

Postby JewishLightning » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:01 pm

Good afternoon, from the West Coast of Oz.

I have many questions and few answers after running a first wash through the T500 column still, but will go through the boards before I feel the need to ask stupid questions.

Like most noobs I listened to the hbs suppliers and bought the starter pack. After putting down a TPW I’ll never make that mistake again, it’s easy, smells great and much cheaper. I understand hbs are in business and have an interest in the subject, but there is a limit to my generosity when there appears to be a trend towards price gouging.

Whilst waiting to have my account activated I have been looking through the wealth of information here. Looking forward to making a rum wash (proud former Queenslander and rum aficionado) and sourcing a pot still or alembic dome to make the rum happen.

Thanking you in advance for the great stuff already on here and for future advice.
JewishLightning

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Intro.....

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:52 pm

Gday mate, welcome here, if youve got some basic skills it’s easy and cheap to make pot still that fits straight onto your t500 boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Birdman85 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:01 pm

:text-+1: on making your own pot attachment. It's super easy.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby Professor Green » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:11 pm

Welcome to AD.

If you're looking to buy a pot still, avoid the still spirits one. You don't really need the dome lid either. Spend your hard earned on a good quality still like the 5 Star 2" pot. It'll fit on your T500 boiler (with an adapter) and will last you a lifetime.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Wellsy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:21 pm

Welcome jewish
I can’t recommend the five star products highly enough , such a quality build and well worth the little bit extra investment
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby JewishLightning » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:07 am

Thanks for the responses. Not in a hurry to change anything out yet as I need to get familiar with the basics and the types of still combinations / options. Happy to persevere with the T500 with some of the mods suggested by WJ elsewhere, and produce a good supply of alcohol to keep me in supply while I figure out the options. As with everything, the devil is always in the details and the more you look the more you see and realise how little you know....
This, for me is a journey, and more interested in the process and producing a quality product that I can give to friends and family than in stockpiling quantities I’ll never get through.
Thanks again and hope to learn from you all...
JewishLightning

equipment: Turbo 500

Return to Welcome Centre