New to home distilling

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New to home distilling

Postby WeeDram » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm based in ACT, I'm new to home distilling, and I'm very serious about learning the craft to produce whisky (for me) and gin (for my wife). After a lot of research (including lurking here), I'm about ready to get my first still:
    - 58 litre keg boiler with two heating elements
    - Copper 4" modular column with 4 bubble plates, extension for copper mesh packing, dephlegmator, gin basket, parrot (a hybrid still I can run in pot or reflux mode)
I've completed the American Home Distillers How to Make Moonshine 101: Whiskey-Making Basics course. I've joined the Institute of Brewers and Distillers, and will enroll in the General Certificate of Distilling after I receive my still. There is so much to learn!!!
Anyway, I just wanted to say hello! I look forward to a lot of reading and hopefully joining discussions on the forum :)
WeeDram

equipment: Modular/Configurable/4 Plate/Pot

Re: New to home distilling

Postby Wellsy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:43 pm

Welcome weedram
So much to learn so many recipes to try. You will learn as much from doing as well mate so don’t go crazy on the courses :)
What’s the worst that can happen, you have to drink your mistake , we have all been there
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RC Al » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:00 pm

Welcome mate

:text-+1: on what wellsy said, slow down, keep reading and save your sheckles for what matters, theres plenty of walkthrough and tutorial style posts on here for most things that pop up.

That first course dosent look like much you couldnt learn quickly in the newbies section here and the the other you mentioned is for people running a commercial interest, there's things to be learnt there no doubt, but pretty pointless at this early stage of the game for you even if your planning on going commercial eventually. You would be much better off going into that course with some experience under your belt already so that you can ask meaningful questions and actually gain real knowledge from the instructors.

Its one thing for them to say they are recognised around the world and quite another to deal with our federal government, there are similar actual hands on courses available here in oz that are recognised for not alot more $$ than that on line course.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Sam. » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:52 am

Welcome mate, what does a 58L keg look like, or was that a typo? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Welcome Centre