Newby question

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Newby question

Postby Pisshead74 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:20 am

Just started in hobby and done a few turbo sugar washes and unit came with alembic head and condenser that I haven't used as yet .

I love my makers mark so looking for some proven recipe that will get me close to the taste minus the soak in oak barrel for 6 odd years .

When you do a stripping run do you keep the hearts from first run and chuck the heads and tails back in and add water up to 25l mark or just do another run on just heads and tails .

Sorry about newb question
Pisshead74

equipment: Turbo 5004

Re: Newby question

Postby The Stig » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:31 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I’ve moved this, your first post to the welcome centre since it doesn’t really belong in the tried and proven section, that’s for recipes that are , well, tried and proven to work.
If your looking for a cordial that’s close , sorry I can’t help :laughing-rolling:
Enjoy the hobby
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:38 pm

On a stripping run cuts are not nessacary although I used to do a fores cut 150-200ml per 25l wash.

Everything else went back in for spirit run..

As far as close to makers have a look at the "mash not required thread".
yellow label angel yeast and grab some grain. There is a table on the net somewhere that has the mash bills,% of grains in mash. And track down some "new" american oak and char with a blowtorch to within an inch of its life.tight cuts and Age for 12mnths.
You will definately make a nice whiskey/burbon. You will never get the "same" as a comercial burbon there is years of complexity in their backset and they age a loooong time.
Just using a barrel compared to oak in a glass jar makes a huge difference.

Good luck!!
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:24 pm

This one is first up on a search, interestingly they have the barrel proof in the list as well.
You will notice many have a similar or even the same grain bills (Jim beam for eg), reinforces that there are many ways to skin the same cat.

https://modernthirst.com/home/bourbon-w ... ash-bills/
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Return to Welcome Centre