Hi from the Hunter

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from the Hunter

Postby GrantB » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:16 pm

It looks like Chinese stills are a bit of an entry drug to this hobby. I bought a 20L pot still (the one with the football on top). I’ve fitted a 2200W heating element and a power controller. So far I’ve done a couple of runs (after a couple of cleaning and practice runs) and really pleased with the results.

The first run was a little harsh but really pleased with second run. The Minister for War and Finance was pretty impressed as well, so that was the real winner.

Anyway, really pleased to have found this forum and looking forward to the journey and learning from, what looks like an absolute wealth of knowledge.

Cheer’s & thanks for allowing me to join.
GrantB

equipment: Vevor 20L Pot Still (the one that looks like it’s got a football sitting on top)
EZ Filter. Added a 500mm column & reflux condenser.
5 Star 55 litre Milk Can 2 element boiler.
Brewzilla Gen 4 65 litre

Re: Hi from the Hunter

Postby The Stig » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:07 am

Welcome Grant
Dont thank us so soon, you’re about to spiral out of control like Alice in wonderland down a very large rabbit hole.
All jokes aside , this can be a very rewarding hobby
Sit back and enjoy
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby GrantB » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:03 pm

Thanks Stig
GrantB

equipment: Vevor 20L Pot Still (the one that looks like it’s got a football sitting on top)
Brewzilla Gen 4 65 litre

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 pm

Hi mate and welcome to the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now as it looks like you have a pot still do remember to do strip runs off the ferments until you have enough to do a a spirit run nice and slow. If you have fruit trees then a 500 gram block of EC1118 yeast is a must for fermenting fruit, works out way cheaper than those 7 gram packets and maybe it is time we had another group buy of EC1118 yeast so Wellsy :violence-smack: :violence-smack: :violence-smack: get ya ass in gear and get it sorted :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Now pic's of this still would be nice and I am the type of guy that can easily lead you down that rabbit hole to making a top drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Welcome Grantb
You have already the first hurdle in this hobby so well done my friend, you must be an absolute natural. Many on here are still to learn the first step to success is to have the missus on side. It took me ages to work that out but now I have I a well on the way to filling the shed with absolute must have items
Good luck and enjoy the craziness
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby GrantB » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks for your kind words guys.

Quick question regarding the forum.

How do you set up to be notified when someone comments on your post?

Cheers
Last edited by GrantB on Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrantB

Brewzilla Gen 4 65 litre

Postby BigRig » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:19 pm

User control Panel, board preferences, edit posting defaults, notify me upon replies
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby GrantB » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:33 pm

BigRig wrote:User control Panel, board preferences, edit posting defaults, notify me upon replies

Thanks BigRig
GrantB

Brewzilla Gen 4 65 litre

Postby Birdman85 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:05 pm

Welcome Grant.

Where abouts in the Hunter are you? I'm based at Maitland if you ever need any help with anything that you can't find.

Enjoy the hobby and it's good you have SWMBO on your side.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby GrantB » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:10 am

Birdman85 wrote:Welcome Grant.

Where abouts in the Hunter are you? I'm based at Maitland if you ever need any help with anything that you can't find.

Enjoy the hobby and it's good you have SWMBO on your side.

Hi, Birdman, It certainly is a small world as I live in a new subdivision over at Louth Park.

I’m having a ball learning about this new hobby and I’m sure I’ll have some questions to ask.

So far I’ve only done 3 full sugar wash runs, but have a TPW ready to run through my still with a WBAB was just going into the fermenter over the weekend. While I’m having fun with these I would like to try some grain mash’s as well in the future.

Also after learning more about the craft I’ve already bought new parts for the still to turn it into a column still to see if I can produce some higher ABV neutral spirits as well.

Cheers
GrantB

Brewzilla Gen 4 65 litre

Return to Welcome Centre