G'day from the Adelaide Alps

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from the Adelaide Alps

Postby pistagain » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:13 pm

Hi all
I've lurked around here off and on for some time now so I thought I'd bite the bullet and introduce myself. I have been distilling for about 18 months or so and whatever success I've had is down to the excellent info on this site. Mostly TPW's (love that voddy ) but have dabbled with WBAB as well. I would like to get into whiskeys and Gin more but probably don't have the proper equipment just yet. To wit, a cheap Alcoengine' copper pot still for stripping runs and a copper 11/2" reflux still that I bought from some guy who makes them and sells them on eBay. A converted beer keg for a boiler. I have lots of questions to ask so I just hope I submit them under the correct forum, beginner's questions I guess.
pistagain
Site Donor

equipment: Water jacketed copper column still with extension column. 50 litre keg boiler

Re: G'day from the Adelaide Alps

Postby iOnaBender » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:22 pm

Welcome pist,

If you're bitten by the distilling bug, the correct equipment won't be far away :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Enjoy your journey!
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby The Stig » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:03 pm

G’Day Pissed, Bender is correct .
When the bug hits , you have little control over the outcome :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby pistagain » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:34 pm

Oh, worry not. I have already been well and truly bitten by this particular bug, and many others, to the detriment of my bank account. With respect to this particular bug I need to find out what will work for me. I was looking into a 4' system until I read that it will require more than the 2400 watt heater that I have. I can't even boil 2 kettles at once in the same room, let alone on the same outlet, without tripping the power.
pistagain
Site Donor

equipment: Water jacketed copper column still with extension column. 50 litre keg boiler

Postby The Stig » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:12 pm

A 4” x4 plate system will run on 2400W
That’s how I used to run my Mac4 and controller it by the reflux water .
Where there’s a will there’s a way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Just ask Bryan :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:59 pm

Welcome
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:35 pm

G'Day Pist :handgestures-thumbupleft: Welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now the Adelaide alps is a new one to me :scared-eek: and I so assume :)) you mean the hills :handgestures-thumbupleft:

now as far as running even 2400 watts on the grid in the hills just make sure it's a nice sunny day with no storms around as our favorite game here is town lotto :laughing-rolling: trying to guess when the storm hits which town loses power first :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

As far as using an element sorry no help from here as I've never used one and don't intend to as my little BD burner does the job nicely :handgestures-thumbupleft: and why waste shed battery power when theres no need to :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby pistagain » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:39 pm

A 4” x4 plate system will run on 2400W
That’s how I used to run my Mac4 and controller it by the reflux water

Yes, but I was thinking of running 5 (or maybe even 6) plates, ala "the Neutraliser", and I usually run 40 - 45 litres at a time. Will 2400 watts still cut it? I don't want to be taking cuts for 14+ hours at a time.
pistagain
Site Donor

Postby pistagain » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:43 pm

now as far as running even 2400 watts on the grid in the hills just make sure it's a nice sunny day with no storms around as our favorite game here is town lotto :laughing-rolling: trying to guess when the storm hits which town loses power first

Yes, I know. We just came out of a 7-day blackout a few weeks back
pistagain
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:00 pm

pistagain wrote:Yes, I know. We just came out of a 7-day blackout a few weeks back

So where abouts in the hills are you located mate as SA does have the small town syndrome about it :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby pistagain » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:37 pm

Upper Sturt
pistagain
Site Donor

Return to Welcome Centre