Does the ambient temperature affect a run?

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Does the ambient temperature affect a run?

Postby Yorkie88 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:08 pm

Hi all,
Firstly, I'm new to the forum so hello!

I've recently got a T500 and did a vinegar run a couple of days ago in preparation, just thought I'd ask if it is normal for it to not condense much when it's 1:1 (ish) vinegar and water. I didn't see any steam coming out either but I could feel and smell it slightly coming out of the pipe. Wondered if it was because it was a warm day? I kept the output temp around 50 on the output mostly but also let it go up to 80 for 10 minutes or so, to see if that helped get it cleaner.

I've got a birdwatchers ready to use for my sacrificial run, it's a little cloudy after I siphoned it over (must have picked up some of the yeast off the bottom) but I'm hoping it'll be fine for the sacrificial run anyway as it's only around 22L in a 35L Keg King boiler. Will there be any issues with the temperature if I run it tomorrow, forecast to be 32 Celcius again I think........ One issue could be me sitting in the garage for 3 or 4 hours dripping in sweat :D

Cheers!
Yorkie88

equipment: T500 + Keg King 35L boiler

Re: Does the ambient temperature affect a run?

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:31 pm

First Yorkie Welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: now with the higher ambient temps we have if your going to decanter what you have made you do need that paper that came with your alocmeter :handgestures-thumbupleft: I decanted enough single malt to fill my hip flask and with the temp at 40C take 6% off what the hydrometer says.

As you learn this craft the 5 Star store has every question you want to ask answered :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Yorkie88 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:38 pm

Thanks Bryan, as this is the sacrificial run for cleaning I was just going to chuck it all out anyway :-D
I do need to get an alcometer before I do a proper run though!
Yorkie88

Postby The Stig » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:44 pm

G’Day Yorkie.
Welcome to the forum.
Since this is/was your first post I’ve moved it here to the welcome centre.
Ambient temp will have an effect on every step of the project , from fermenting to Distilling to decanting as Bryan touched on.
Use your sac run as a learning run, change things so you can see what happens, kink the water line so you can see how things can go bad .
Don’t be afraid and remember , never leave the still alone while it’s running .
You’re about to embark on a journey, how far you go is up to you .
Enjoy the ride
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:12 pm

Well said Stig :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now yorkie put in your location as I'm sure beyond doubt some of our members are close by and will be more than willing to lend a hand on learning to get it right. If your in SA well so am I :handgestures-thumbupleft: and with any state someone will answer every question you have.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:04 am

Welcome yorkie
As said warm days are an issue, it just gets too uncomfortable to be in the shed :)
The warmer temps usually mean more water is needed in the condenser to cool the vapour enough to turn it back to liquid. If running wrap an old blanket around your boiler, this helps warm up time as well as reducing the heat transfer into the air.

Have fun :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Yorkie88 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:08 pm

Thanks all!

I finally figured out how to partially open the garage door for some ventilation and stuck one of those magnetic fly curtains up on the back door so wasn't too bad. Think it went well, was collecting quickly at 60c but I brought it down to 50c to practice for when it's a real run.

Did find a few leaks, I bought the T500 as a "factory second" and it was shipped by "MCH" so I suspect it's actually a clone/copy made by them rather than Still Spirits. I don't mind if it works, was cheap enough!

The top loop was leaking a bit, using cable ties at the moment until I get proper clamps. Wrapped the barb in PTFE and re cable-tied it and that seemed to fix it.

First real leak was a small drip under the water output so I'll look at tightening the fitting up, second leak seemed to be coming from the inside of the column and dripping down into the boiler - probably just the back of that dripping leak hopefully.

The last leak was near the end of the run, seemed to be alcohol dripping from under the product output plastic block thing.....I don't see how anything would leak there though as it's all soldered together. Might dismantle it a little and have a poke around to check for any pinholes or similar.

Got about 2.5l in total (with the fores/heads) from about 22L of 11% ish birdwatchers. Smells a bit tomato-y still but that's probably from running it too quickly early on in this run. It's running off the hosepipe so I'm a bit weary of opening the flow up too much as it feels like pretty high pressure and might pop the hoses off - I'm considering getting a pump and recirculating from a bucket to save on the water which might make things a bit more controllable.
Yorkie88

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:28 pm

What or who is MCH ??
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Yorkie88 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:31 pm

I think they are parent company of Keg King :think:
Yorkie88

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:10 pm

Correct
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Welcome Centre