Howdy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy

Postby Skitz08 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:59 am

Newbie here from SEQLD doing some research.

Bought a T500 thinking it would be interesting to learn how to make my own whiskey, naively went to the HBS thinking this would be the best place for advice and was sold a great kit with turbo yeast kit, a filter, granulated carbon and a T500 in stainless steel. Went home all excited followed the instructions and the few tips from the lovely gentleman at the HBS got through the process followed everything to the letter, mixed it with the essence recommended and it tasted....awful. Thought it needed some time....nope still awful. Surely I have done something wrong, back to the HBS sold another handy box of turbo and asked the questions I had a-lot met with "just follow the instructions ya cant go wrong been doing it for years". Difference essence this time cause surely thats the problem...another week of fermenting, few hours distilling and wow to my surprise...absolutely awful again!

Started reading and watching a-lot of videos and discovered that I had been taken for a ride. Found an alembic pot for my boiler for under 100 bucks on good ol marketplace! made my first UJSSM following all the guides doing stripping and spirit runs and collection what I thought smelt and tasted ok, now on my 5th generation and its getting better but still has a way too strong chemical (think pure ethanol) smell making it hard to do the cuts.

So here I am to do some more reading and research to help bring the quality of the product i am making.
Skitz08

equipment: T500, Alembic pot

Re: Howdy

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:19 am

G’Day Skitz,
You’re in the right place mate , enjoy the rabbit hole you’re about to spiral down.
Where in SEQ are you around ?
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Skitz08 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:31 am

Thanks mate,

Live around strathpine, work at coopers plains so I am all over the place.
Skitz08

Postby BigRig » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:54 pm

Skitz08 wrote:Thanks mate,

So do i. Welcome.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:13 pm

Skitz08 wrote:Thanks mate,

See you this arvo :music-deathmetal:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 am

Welcome Skitz.

You've definitely come to the right place, there's heaps of info and knowledge here.

Cuts on flavoured spirits are a bit of a black art. You'll get better at it over time.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:28 pm

Welcome skitz
Lots of very knowledgeable people on here ( pointing at others :laughing-rolling: ) who will happily share their hard earned knowledge.
Read the newbies section a few times , it takes a bit to absorb it all but you will get there eventually.
Can I suggest you give everything a good clean and put down a WBAB wash ( wheat bix and all bran) home brand variants are fine. Do a couple of batches stripping them, then do a nice slow spirit run.
That will get you a nice Vodka/neutral that you can mix until you get some stuff aged.
With a good starting spirit you will have at least half a chance with the essences. I found essences can give you an initial similar taste to the stuff they are mimicking but lack any follow up flavour and disappear quickly.
You may even discover over time you actually prefer your own aged spirits in preference to store bought or essences
Enjoy the journey and consider the money already spent as an investment in you education. Once you learn it’s limits the T500 will produce some very drinkable stuff for you. But we all know you are going to be going back to the finance manager many more times :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Skitz08 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:01 pm

Certainly some good info here. I grabbed a power controller yesterday from Andrew and eill give it a whirl to slow things down a bit.
Skitz08

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:20 am

Excellent start mate. Andrew is happy to give very good advice, and he is happy for you to either follow it or not. He does not need to push his products as they sell themselves. We can’t wait until you are enjoying what you have made yourself :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre