G'day from another newcomer...

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from another newcomer...

Postby Frankarooney » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:33 pm

HI all. Thought I should introduce myself, before I ask a question and get referred here anyway!

A mate and I bought a still a year or two ago, got a T500 as I'm assuming many do. We produced a few horrible tasting batches as we didn't have a clue what we were doing, used turbo products, and used the cheap filter supplied with the kit...

My mate got bored so it's all mine now. I bought a better filter so now at least what I've been producing has been fairly neutral. Followed the instructions that came with it, had no idea about cuts until the last couple of days. ?Have been reading about how to run my still properly (and safely), learned about cuts, and read about a few things I can do to get the best out of my still. To say I've learnt a lot this week would be an understatement! Really looking forward to learning a helluva lot more - although I am a little worried that the more I learn, the more I will want to spend!

I have a wash down at the moment, ready to distil this weekend. Looking forward to doing it the right way and hopefully ending up with a decent product. Will try a TPW next, and will no doubt be looking at upgrading or adding to my equipment list as I'm quite keen to make my own rum (wish I liked whisky or bourbon but really not my thing).

I'm not really one to ask questions as I think most will have been answered on this forum somewhere, but I'm sure I'll manage to do something no one else has managed to do somewhere along the line! When I do, I'm looking forward to tapping into the wealth of experience that is on here.

That's all for now, happy distilling!
Frankie.
Frankarooney

equipment: Plain old T500 still (copper column with SS saddles). For the moment...

Re: G'day from another newcomer...

Postby Wellsy » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:29 am

Welcome Frankie
Read and re read the newbie section mate. The cuts will make more sense the more you both do and read :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Have a read through the tried and tested section TPW & WBAB ( wheat bix all bran ) are a couple of popular choices and you will soon be leaving the turbo behind ( it is simply too expensive )

Lots of great experience on here so just ask when you can’t find what you are looking for
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre