Hello from Far East Australia

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from Far East Australia

Postby nickT » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:34 am

Hi There, I am a newbie distiller from Christchurch, FEA. Currently gathering the gear I need to get going properly, bit of a bummer that 3 years ago I sold all my AG brewing gear and now having to buy some of that back. (But I must say, compared to 15-odd years ago when I was building a brewery in the garage, there is so much clever pre-made kit available these days at good prices, I can't believe how easy it is to get fitted out!) Given my AG brewing background I am heading in the AG direction for distilling as well. Currently have a T500 reflux on a Grainfather, but am going to upgrade the column to a Boka as I like the idea of the slightly easier LM system. Initially keen to get to a good quality outcome for gin, but as I look into this further, a whole lot of other options are looking very interesting too. Too much to do, too little time....
nickT

equipment: Grainfather, Boka, Alembic, AirStill.

Re: Hello from Far East Australia

Postby BigRig » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:13 am

A big hello from far north christchurch (Brisbane)

Sounds like you are well on your way and would have a wealth of AG knowledge to be shared.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby The Stig » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:16 pm

Welcome Nick , love the far East AU thing , made laugh :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:04 am

Welcome Nick
Having done AG beers on 15 year old gear, I am sure you will find the modern stuff a pleasure to work with.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Roo » Sat May 13, 2023 11:22 am

nickT wrote:Hi There, I am a newbie distiller from Christchurch, FEA. Currently gathering the gear I need to get going properly, bit of a bummer that 3 years ago I sold all my AG brewing gear and now having to buy some of that back. (But I must say, compared to 15-odd years ago when I was building a brewery in the garage, there is so much clever pre-made kit available these days at good prices, I can't believe how easy it is to get fitted out!) Given my AG brewing background I am heading in the AG direction for distilling as well. Currently have a T500 reflux on a Grainfather, but am going to upgrade the column to a Boka as I like the idea of the slightly easier LM system. Initially keen to get to a good quality outcome for gin, but as I look into this further, a whole lot of other options are looking very interesting too. Too much to do, too little time....

Sounds like we might be on a similar path, experienced with all-grain brewing and hoping to leverage that to make great gin (and vodka for maceration etc) and then expand from there.
Roo

equipment: Fermentation:
Temperature controlled (heat and cool), pressure capable fermentation. From 25-200

Distillation:
Newbie, coming from all-grain home brewing so trying to work out what I need to make great Gin.

Return to Welcome Centre