First time distiller...

Say Hi and introduce yourself

First time distiller...

Postby boxerboy81 » Tue May 16, 2023 8:32 pm

Howdy.

I've bought some used gear to start off the process. Looking to start off with gin, then maybe limoncello, then ultimately some mead too. My son is keen on the mead.
30L fermenter, 30L boiler, copper reflux still...just an on/off switch.
Other bits and pieces, hydrometers etc....

I've done one run. The ferment took 20 days. I think I used too much sugar. 8kgs in maybe a 28L total volume. I also had trouble getting the temp above 20-21C. Kept inside, three blankets wrapped around it...It got there though eventually settled on 23-24C.

The stripping run was fun. The condenser cooling leaked quite a bit. Everything snapped on tight and felt fine but it leaked. Now fixed with better connectors and awaiting the next run.

Anyhow, next step is the spirit run. The 94% stuff is just waiting in glass bottles for dilution and a choice of botanicals.

Any equipment I need is available via a relative. He's thinking of upgrading some of his gear too so I might get lucky and inherit his stuff. Fingers crossed.

All good fun.

Thanks.
boxerboy81

equipment: Ultra pure still

Re: First time distiller...

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue May 16, 2023 9:36 pm

Welcome to the forum boxer and it won't take long to fall down that rabbit hole we all fell in when starting :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: First time distiller...

Postby Wellsy » Wed May 17, 2023 5:20 am

Welcome Boxerboy
Lots of informed guys on here to help.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre