Hi πŸ‘‹

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi πŸ‘‹

Postby Proof » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:53 am

Hi, I've been lurking for a while so an introduction is overdue
:razz:

I live in Brisbane, and a few months ago I bought a modular 2" boka/pot still and a 65L digiboil boiler.
My initial plan was to run neutrals for vodka, make some gin, and flavour some stuff with essences.
Gross :violence-smack:
I quickly changed my mind, and I've currently got 2x3" bubble plates and 1x2" bubble plate with another 3" in the post. As soon as funds allow, I'll get a reflux condenser/deflegmator and all the plumbing bits.

I'm on my third gen of all molasses wash, and running my first Macrum now. I'll take each out to 5 generations. I've run an FFV, and have a TPW ready to go.

I seem to enjoy theorising over recipes, and look forward to making my own unique spirits. I really want to make a rumsky, maybe with some plum juice in the wash. Any thoughts?

Thanks to all the contributors on this awesome forum! Without this place I wouldn't be having as much fun, or producing stuff that I really enjoy!
Proof

equipment: 2" modular copper boka, SPP, 65L digiboil.

Re: Hi πŸ‘‹

Postby The Stig » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:18 am

Welcome
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Proof, what’s your drink of choice?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Proof » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:43 pm

Thanks!
I like rum probably the most. Whisky as well. Gin is good with tonic water.
Heaps of ppl are into whisky, and there's some gin lovers out there... but I'm the only person that I know that sips on rum, bit of a bummer. Maybe I can make some whisky with a lot of perceived sweetness?
Proof

Postby bluc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:22 pm

Uj/bwko fits the bill
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:03 pm

Welcome Proof.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Proof » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:07 pm

bluc wrote:Uj/bwko fits the bill

Hell yeah, I'll throw one down soon. What about CFW?

Thanks to everyone for your kind welcomes!

I just got 10kg of Gladfields malted barley and a few kgs of specially grains in the post today. Gotta hit up costco for a couple more 25kg bags of sugar!
Proof

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:20 pm

Hi Proof Welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just thinking with all that malt barely you have there and coming it may even pay to skip the sugar wash and go straight into AG :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now for that last mash I did with my homemade malt barley/rye I heated about 25-26 litres of water to 74C in my 50 litre mashtun made from a keg then dumped the 13kg of grain and gave it good mixing with my paint mixer ensuring all the grain had separated and no clumps present. Then wrap it up with blankets and let it do it's thing. Every 20 minutes or so take a temp reading and we don't it dropping below 65C so I just warm it up with a 2 ring crab burner and keep mixing so no hot spots or burning can happen, it won't take long to get back to 68C and after around an hour the iodine test showed a full conversion.

Now a refractometer should be on the shopping list as it one handy tool to use before the ferment starts and it can be used to see how the mash is going :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So don't be afraid mate and take that dive down the rabbit hole and I'm sure that final drop will be one tasty drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Proof » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:17 pm

Thanks for your reply Brian.
What would you say are the advantages of doing an AG mash over a grain+sugar version?
I do plan to try AG one day, but it seems to be a lot more expensive and takes a fair bit more work to get it sorted :think:
Proof

Return to Welcome Centre